FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » General » General Chit Chat » Can I / should I try doing this with FUDforum?
Show: Today's Messages :: Unread Messages :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
| Subscribe to topic | Bookmark topic 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Can I / should I try doing this with FUDforum? [message #27469] Fri, 09 September 2005 03:27 Go to next message
headspin is currently offline  headspin   United States
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
Hi, I haven't done anything web-related in years, even though I was right there with C, Perl and CGI 10 years ago. Now I'd like to start a personal web site, and I'm not really sure if I can do what I want with software like FUDforum or maybe another type.

What I want is a way for me to post articles and have people respond to them - close to a blog. However...

* I'm not interested in an index page - the articles may make no sense when viewed in chronological order; I can write a page that lists them all in logical order, with links to the right pages.

* I want to have a view that only shows the article (and maybe a number of replies, click here to view) and never directly show the other forums or articles.

* Except for that forum which shouldn't typically be accessed directly (only for the main page) I still want to have other forums and give users the normal forum abilities - create threads, respond to each other in the threads or in PMs, etc.

Can I do this with FUDforum (or maybe with similar software)? Is there maybe some other type of software that's better suited to my needs?

Re: Can I / should I try doing this with FUDforum? [message #27487 is a reply to message #27469] Fri, 09 September 2005 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
add to buddy list
if you want a blogging software you really should use a blogging software like s9y for example. A forum CAN be modified and adjusted to very closely resemble a blog, the basic functionality, post mesages and have people reply to them is common...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Can I / should I try doing this with FUDforum? [message #27514 is a reply to message #27487] Fri, 09 September 2005 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
headspin is currently offline  headspin   United States
add to buddy list
Here's the problem: a blog and a forum have a lot - almost everything - in common: the need to register users, verify them, let them post comments, moderate comments, etc etc. It's just a small part - who creates the articles, how they're connected, and how the list of articles is viewed - that's different. If the system is flexible enough, I could create some kind of 'blog article view (with comments)' and 'blog article view (without comments)' for a forum thread, and be almost done. If not... I need to find a forum and blog that work in tandem (single registration / single login, look and feel as close as makes sense).
Re: Can I / should I try doing this with FUDforum? [message #27536 is a reply to message #27514] Sun, 11 September 2005 13:27 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
add to buddy list
Well, FUDforum provides APIs from nearly every operation you can think of (look inside the scripts/ directory) so it'd be easily integretable with another app. That said you can use that very same API to use the forum as an engine and blog-like data presentation layer.

FUDforum Core Developer
Quick Reply
Formatting Tools:   
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
Previous Topic: moderation queue
Next Topic: http://acidgraffix.com/forum/index.php - cool new forum
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Oct 19 16:17:06 EDT 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00690 seconds