FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Feature and Security request
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Feature and Security request [message #27739] Fri, 23 September 2005 18:34 Go to next message
Anonymous   United States
Security request:

Add a checkbox to "Administrator" profile that make this account not show up in the list of members.

Feature requests:

Add an option to allow a forum sponsor. It would be cool to have that listed in the same line as Moderator(s): on the main forum list page and also show up at the top of each thread in that forum.

Allow a manual override of the user profile "Status:" It would be cool to allow people to set this themselves, use the current method based on the number of posts, and also have an option for the post count based system and an administrator only manual override.

Make the status field area the same pixel height as the avitar. I would ike to be able to add a second avitar to moderators. The problem is that the height of the "status" field is pretty small and i end up with a vertical scrollbar if i put anything in the "custom tag" field other than plain text.

Great forum otherwise! I like it a lot and it is very easy to set up. Thanks!
Re: Feature and Security request [message #27749 is a reply to message #27739] Sat, 24 September 2005 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Anonymous wrote on Fri, 23 September 2005 14:34

Security request:

Add a checkbox to "Administrator" profile that make this account not show up in the list of members.

Don't see much value in that, if you want to do it, you can use the existing "invisible" flag each user can toggle for their account and if it is set, not display the user's record.

Quote:

Allow a manual override of the user profile "Status:" It would be cool to allow people to set this themselves, use the current method based on the number of posts, and also have an option for the post count based system and an administrator only manual override.

Make the status field area the same pixel height as the avitar. I would ike to be able to add a second avitar to moderators. The problem is that the height of the "status" field is pretty small and i end up with a vertical scrollbar if i put anything in the "custom tag" field other than plain text.

You can already add custom tags via admin user control panel and tags can contain HTML, so you can pretty much do anything you want...

Great forum otherwise! I like it a lot and it is very easy to set up. Thanks![/quote]

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Feature and Security request [message #27829 is a reply to message #27749] Tue, 27 September 2005 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Making the admin account invisible does not remove it from the member list. This is a security issue. Ideally, you would want to be able to restrict, by ip address, where the admin account can log in, but telling the world what the login name is really presents a security risk. They easily have half of the login credentials. Since most forum operators will not use SSL, it would be extremely easy for an attacker to obtain admin login credentials.

I understand how the "custom tags" work. What I am hoping to avoid is exactly what your custom tag does. There is easily enough room in that section to display the three lines wihout the scroll bar. If the size of that field is increased to the size of the avitar picture limit, then you would only get the scroll bar if you try to use something larger than the avitar picture.

Many other forum packages allow you to manually set your (what FUD Forum calls) "Status:" It would be cool to either have an administrator override for this and/or a checkbox that allows the user to manually set it themselves.

Sorry for not explaining that adequately in the first place. I hope these make more sense now.
Re: Feature and Security request [message #27851 is a reply to message #27829] Wed, 28 September 2005 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
You can enable the alias feature of the forum, which gives each user the means to enter a name of choice for their own account. This name is what ALL users of the forums will see. Thus hiding the login name completely, only the admin via the admin user control panel will be able to see it.

Removing the name from member list does not solve much, since if the admin posts a message you'll still see their user name. Heck you can write a script to sequentially go through all profiles on the forum.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Feature and Security request [message #27856 is a reply to message #27739] Wed, 28 September 2005 17:59 Go to previous message
The security conscious among us would never post a message with the administrator account. ;) I'll try the alias. That sounds like an acceptable alternative. Thanks!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: "View" option in permissions
Next Topic: my request to admin
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun May 19 02:55:51 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02393 seconds