FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » Not using Temporary Tables
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Not using Temporary Tables [message #27998] Wed, 05 October 2005 03:31 Go to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
I just noticed that the setting for "Use Temporary Tables" is disbled on my forum. This is strange as I can still remember that it was a requirement to get FUDForum installed some time ago.

My only guess is that when this option was introduced, it was defaulted to "No" without checking if temporary tables can be created or not.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Not using Temporary Tables [message #28005 is a reply to message #27998] Wed, 05 October 2005 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Yes, I made this functionality optional and each deployer can choose whether or not it is used.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Not using Temporary Tables [message #28012 is a reply to message #28005] Wed, 05 October 2005 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Yes, I was just surprised that it defaulted to "No" without testing if temp tables can be used or not.

Anyway, I've switched it on again.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Not using Temporary Tables [message #40216 is a reply to message #28012] Thu, 24 January 2008 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BAD35th is currently offline  BAD35th   Canada
This sounds similar to problem I am having:

I can't install the forum on a new hosting Server, at Step2 it says: I do not have permissions to create temporary tables. The hosting service says they do not support creation of temporary tables and I can't see anywhere to modify the SQLuser permissions. I am on screen 2 of the install when it stops. Is there a work around ??? I was trying to install the exact same version that is running now: 2.6.10RC3 and then upgrade once I copy over the messages etc.

Maybe I am going about this wrong way. Basically I want to move the forum from one Server to another.

My thoughts were:

Get new bare metal copy of forum installed at new server with same version 2.6.10RC3 I am running in production.
Backup existing production version of forum.
Restore-Import forum to new server to import users and messages etc.
Then upgrade that forum to latest version 2.7.7

I read somewhere else that you created an ability to set a flag so that temporary tables weren't used...but how do I avoid this at installation stage ??

Any assistance/ideas is appreciated...thanks.
Re: Not using Temporary Tables [message #40221 is a reply to message #40216] Fri, 25 January 2008 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The install process does not require temporary tables. What SQL error are you getting?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Not using Temporary Tables [message #40226 is a reply to message #40221] Fri, 25 January 2008 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Thu, 24 January 2008 19:34

The install process does not require temporary tables. What SQL error are you getting?

Hmm it claims it does...error screen below:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f230/Spunone/TFBM/FUD_DB_Setup_Error-1.jpg

Some of the old threads on here I searched thru from back in 2005 said FUD did require temp tables and that was just the way it was, like it or leave it. At one point around July 2005 timeframe you appeared to be releasing a patched version that did not need them ??

2.6.10RC3 install shown here is from Feb 2005...so back to my question. Am I going about this the right way to move this Server to new hosting or if there are going to be installation issues am I better to upgrade existing production forum to 2.7.7 and then try to install that at new hosting and import data ??

Also this article seems to suggest that tables may be set to temporary under certain circumstances:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/internal-temporary-tables.html

Any ideas ??
Re: Not using Temporary Tables [message #40229 is a reply to message #40226] Sat, 26 January 2008 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Figured out why my hosting site doesn't support Temporay Tables Confused

"Temporary tables are not supported for MySQL Cluster."

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/temporary-table-problems.html
Re: Not using Temporary Tables [message #40231 is a reply to message #40229] Sat, 26 January 2008 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just for fun I tried using the install.php from V2.7.7

This time I get a different error:

FATAL ERROR: your MySQL account does not have permissions to run LOCK queries on existing MySQL tables
Enable this functionality and restart the script.

I had the hosting place open a ticket for me to add the LOCK priviledge to the DB account so hopefully that does it.

Since they 100% do not support temporary tables will this be a problem for when FUD is up and running in normal use??

Back to original task: so to Move Servers I am assuming I will have to upgrade the existing forum version from 2.6.10RC3 to 2.7.7 and then backup and restore to new host running identical version. EDIT: Ran the upgrade to 2.7.7 and it worked fine!

Also there will still be some differences at new hosting, the php is changed from V4 to V5. The MySQL is also changed from V4 to V5, and finally the paths will be different for Server Root and Forum Data Root...will any of this matter ??

Thanks...

[Updated on: Sat, 26 January 2008 08:14]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Not using Temporary Tables [message #40241 is a reply to message #40231] Sun, 27 January 2008 16:41 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
PHP version does not matter for FUDforum it'll work on anything better then 4.3.10

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: v 2.7.7 Step 2: CREATE UNIQUE INDEX
Next Topic: FUD on Slackware 12
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 14:11:57 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03098 seconds