FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » having to re-type the message if you get logged off while typing
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
having to re-type the message if you get logged off while typing [message #28301] Sun, 16 October 2005 18:06 Go to next message
JanRei is currently offline  JanRei   Germany
Contributing Core Developer
Translator
I've noticed that you have to re-type the message if you get logged out while typing.
This seems to be fixed in this forum version here.

But if you get logged out, while you edit a message, you get the following error message when you click "Apply Message Changes": "You have followed an invalid link. Please notify the webmaster how you got here."
I would like to suggest to give the users the possibilty to re-login.

[Updated on: Mon, 17 October 2005 04:50]

Report message to a moderator

Re: having to re-type the message if you get logged off while typing [message #28312 is a reply to message #28301] Mon, 17 October 2005 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
I tried to replicate the bug, but I am not seeing the problem you are seeing. If you try to apply spelling changes and get logged out in the process you are taken to a login page asking you to authorize yourself.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: having to re-type the message if you get logged off while typing [message #28316 is a reply to message #28301] Mon, 17 October 2005 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Yes, you're right. If you click on "Submit Reply" and you have been logged out in the meantime you get "ERROR: Insufficient Privileges".
But if I try to login I get this: "A system error has occurred. Please report it to the webmaster."
Re: having to re-type the message if you get logged off while typing [message #28319 is a reply to message #28316] Mon, 17 October 2005 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Fixed in CVS.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: having to re-type the message if you get logged off while typing [message #28322 is a reply to message #28301] Tue, 18 October 2005 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Thank you,

I will continue testing, when the patch is part of a release.
Re: having to re-type the message if you get logged off while typing [message #28337 is a reply to message #28301] Tue, 18 October 2005 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
My testing results with 2.7.3RC3:

If I get logged out and click on "Submit Reply" I get the right error message and the possibilty to login. That's ok so far.
But after logging in I get to the forum's mainpage and the message doesn't appear.

If I get logged out before clicking on "Apply Message Changes" I get the error message "You have followed an invalid link. Please notify the webmaster how you got here."
By the way, I get the same error message, if I click on the "edit" button at the end of my message (and if I have been logged out in the meantime).

[Updated on: Tue, 18 October 2005 18:48]

Re: having to re-type the message if you get logged off while typing [message #28339 is a reply to message #28337] Tue, 18 October 2005 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
If you logged out while editing a message the message you were writing will be lost, no way around that, sorry.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: having to re-type the message if you get logged off while typing [message #28341 is a reply to message #28301] Wed, 19 October 2005 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Ilia

If you logged out while editing a message the message you were writing will be lost, no way around that, sorry.

That's a pity.

JanRei

If I get logged out and click on "Submit Reply" I get the right error message and the possibilty to login. That's ok so far.
But after logging in I get to the forum's mainpage and the message doesn't appear.

But why do you ask the user for logging in, if the message will be lost anyway?

[Updated on: Wed, 19 October 2005 11:40]

Re: having to re-type the message if you get logged off while typing [message #28351 is a reply to message #28341] Wed, 19 October 2005 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
What do your propose is done? The user is accessing a page requering authentication, so when they are not the forum offers the user to login.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: having to re-type the message if you get logged off while typing [message #28356 is a reply to message #28301] Wed, 19 October 2005 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
I don't understand your post, therefore I explain mine:

The user types a message and gets logged out while doing this.
He clicks on "Submit Reply" and gets an error message: "Insufficient Privileges" with the possibility to login.
But if he do login, the message doesn't appear.

I understand the possibility to login as offer for the user to authenticate himself and submit his message .

If you only see this as a possibility to login, I apologize for taking your time.
Re: having to re-type the message if you get logged off while typing [message #28357 is a reply to message #28356] Wed, 19 October 2005 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Message data that was typed is lost when the form submission fails due to the user no longetr being logged in. There is no way to recover this information.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: having to re-type the message if you get logged off while typing [message #28359 is a reply to message #28301] Wed, 19 October 2005 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
OK, that's right, if the form submsission fails, no recover is possible.

But I have thought up a solution:
Let's see that the form submission doesn't fail.

You know the user at the moment, when he clicks on "Post Reply" or "New Topic". (or he will login by the upcoming error message)
And then you can link the User Name or ID with the message form.
If the user clicks on "Submit Reply" you submit the message AND the User Name or ID.

In my opinion this should work, but I don't have no idea about PHP.

[Updated on: Wed, 19 October 2005 19:03]

Re: having to re-type the message if you get logged off while typing [message #28362 is a reply to message #28359] Wed, 19 October 2005 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Does not work quite this way, it would not be possible to do this...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: having to re-type the message if you get logged off while typing [message #28364 is a reply to message #28301] Thu, 20 October 2005 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Am I on the right track?
Do you have a different idea?
Re: having to re-type the message if you get logged off while typing [message #28367 is a reply to message #28364] Thu, 20 October 2005 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I'm afraid not, the fact is then when you have a POST form submission when the data is taken and another page is displayed the data is no longer there after the 1st submission, there is no way to recover it.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: having to re-type the message if you get logged off while typing [message #28375 is a reply to message #28301] Thu, 20 October 2005 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
I've got the impression you haven't understood my solution:
I don't want to recover anything and I don't want to submit something twice.

My solution:
  1. user clicks on "Post Reply":
    • If the user isn't allowed to post, give him the possibility to login.
    • Save user name or ID (in a temporary text file on the server, in the database or in a variable ...)
    • Set an ID for the message, link it with the saved user name or ID and save it in the post form.
    For example: User #1234 wants to write message #1234
  2. user writes message
  3. user clicks on "Submit Reply":
    • Now you can re-login the user, if he has been logged out in the meantime, because you know his name or ID.
    • And then you (not the user!) can submit the post, because you can match the user with the message.
    • Delete the saved information
Re: having to re-type the message if you get logged off while typing [message #28380 is a reply to message #28375] Thu, 20 October 2005 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
There are some security issues with what you propose. The bottom line if you logout while writing a message and then submit the form data will be lost, no way around that.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: having to re-type the message if you get logged off while typing [message #28382 is a reply to message #28380] Thu, 20 October 2005 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Ilia wrote on Thu, 20 October 2005 21:49

There are some security issues with what you propose. The bottom line if you logout while writing a message and then submit the form data will be lost, no way around that.

Crying or Very Sad

But thank you for your help.
JanRei
Re: having to re-type the message if you get logged off while typing [message #33575 is a reply to message #28301] Fri, 08 September 2006 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Sorry for digging out this one, but I just saw a saw a possible solution in another forum that seems to be reasonable for me.
Invision Power Board shows the message the user wanted to post on the error message he gets on submission.

P.S. This is just meant as an idea, no problem if it gets declined by you...
Re: having to re-type the message if you get logged off while typing [message #33578 is a reply to message #33575] Fri, 08 September 2006 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
FUDforum does this when sequence key expires, however, it is a far more trickier to do reliably when a person actually logs off. To be honest I am not sure just how frequent this problem is. Personally I have not seen it happen more then 1-2 times in my entire use of FUDforum on this and other sites. I'd prefer to avoid adding architectural complexity in places where the issue the fix is trying to solve is highly unlikely.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: having to re-type the message if you get logged off while typing [message #33583 is a reply to message #28301] Fri, 08 September 2006 15:20 Go to previous message
Translator
OK, I understand.
I just thought that this would be an easier solution than the ones suggested until now (since you don't have actually to save the message and re-identify its author).
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: error on logout
Next Topic: redirect issue
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 10:24:24 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02645 seconds