FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » Problem with polish character set on new install
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Problem with polish character set on new install [message #28446] Tue, 25 October 2005 10:43 Go to next message
bialy is currently offline  bialy
Hi,

I've got FUDforum installed on one server, about 600 messages, and everything works just fine. I must move it to the new server, and taht's the problem. Razz
I've installed FUD 2.7.3RC3 on new server (same as on old) and everything went just fine, but when I'm trying to post a message with some polish characters the error message is shown:
(/home/grzegorz/domains/hermetic-club.com/public_html/forum/index.php:200
/home/grzegorz/domains/hermetic-club.com/public_html/forum/theme/default/post.php:2763
/home/grzegorz/domains/hermetic-club.com/public_html/forum/theme/default/post.php:1656
/home/grzegorz/domains/hermetic-club.com/public_html/forum/theme/default/post.php:3879
/home/grzegorz/domains/hermetic-club.com/public_html/forum/index.php:1181
) 1270: Illegal mix of collations (latin1_swedish_ci,IMPLICIT), (latin2_general_ci,COERCIBLE), (latin2_general_ci,COERCIBLE) for operation ' IN '
Query: INSERT INTO fud26_index (word_id, msg_id) SELECT id, 2 FROM fud26_search WHERE word IN('odp','ąśćęś')
_GET: array ( 't' => 'post', )
_POST: array ( 'msg_subject' => 'Odp: ???', 'msg_icon' => '', 'fnt_size' => '', 'fnt_color' => '', 'fnt_face' => '', 'msg_body' => 'ąśćęś', 'tmp_f_val' => '1', 'msg_poster_notif' => 'Y', 'msg_show_sig' => 'Y', 'minimsg_pager_switch' => '0', 'S' => '383b7d7d6fd41a90b7b83d9e637fd383', 'SQ' => 'b0b949ecdc20c8b53c00dfce70496cca', 'submitted' => '1', 'reply_to' => '1', 'th_id' => '1', 'frm_id' => '1', 'start' => '0', 'msg_id' => '0', 'pl_id' => '0', 'old_subject' => 'Odp: ???', 'prev_loaded' => '1', 'btn_submit' => 1, )
Server Version: 4.1.10-standard

I think this is something to do with MySQL, but... on first server (where everything works) collation on database and all tables is latin1_swedish_ci. On new server (when the error is produced) default collation of database is latin2_general_ci, which I've changed to latin1_swedish_ci, but error is still showing.

Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? Or maybe it's problem with new server configuration?

Best regards,
Re: Problem with polish character set on new install [message #28450 is a reply to message #28446] Tue, 25 October 2005 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
You need to alter the collation settings of the individual tables.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problem with polish character set on new install [message #28491 is a reply to message #28450] Wed, 26 October 2005 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bialy is currently offline  bialy
Ilia wrote on Tue, 25 October 2005 09:16

You need to alter the collation settings of the individual tables.

How? There are the same settings of collation in database on old server. I don't know what is the difference between these two configurations.
Re: Problem with polish character set on new install [message #28496 is a reply to message #28491] Wed, 26 October 2005 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Check the collation settings of individual tables.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problem with polish character set on new install [message #28999 is a reply to message #28496] Thu, 24 November 2005 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mikolaj is currently offline  Mikolaj   Poland
It seems that I've got exactly the same problem:

?866       ?1132795260?(/home/users/plastikowe/public_html/forum/index.php:76<br />
/home/users/plastikowe/public_html/forum/index.php:176<br />
/home/users/plastikowe/public_html/forum/theme/default/login.php:554<br />
/home/users/plastikowe/public_html/forum/index.php:1181<br />
) 1267: Illegal mix of collations (latin1_swedish_ci,IMPLICIT) and (latin2_general_ci,COERCIBLE) for operation '='<br />
Query: SELECT id, passwd, login, email, users_opt, ban_expiry FROM fud26_users WHERE login='Piotr Mikołajski'<br />
_GET: array (
  't' =&gt; 'login',
)<br />
_POST: array (
  'SQ' =&gt; '0',
  'adm' =&gt; '1',
)<br />
Server Version: 4.1.12-standard-log

Am I right? And what exactly should I do? I'm pretty far for being MySQL power user and "Check the collation settings of individual tables" unfortunately means nothing to me Confused
Re: Problem with polish character set on new install [message #29007 is a reply to message #28999] Thu, 24 November 2005 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You need to run the following query:
ALTER TABLE replace_with_table_name CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET latin1;

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problem with polish character set on new install [message #29013 is a reply to message #28446] Thu, 24 November 2005 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia, thanks a lot Smile
BTW - is it possible to install FUD with Polish charset without troubles and need of run this query? I think that this error can be serious disadvantage to spread FUD among Polish users.
Re: Problem with polish character set on new install [message #29014 is a reply to message #29013] Thu, 24 November 2005 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
It'll run fine with Polish text.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problem with polish character set on new install [message #29015 is a reply to message #29014] Thu, 24 November 2005 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, maybe my English is not precise...

1. I saw few FUDs on Polish sites - all is OK with them, so Polish text is in fact not a big problem.

2. I've installed fresh 2.7.3. version and got this error. What went wrong / what I did wrong?

A little bit OT - I've prepared serachplugin for Firefox/Mozilla browsers for FUDforum.org. It can be downloaded from my blog - http://piotr.mikolajski.net/2005/11/fudforum
Re: Problem with polish character set on new install [message #29016 is a reply to message #29015] Thu, 24 November 2005 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
It has to do with the default collation settings of you MySQL database.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problem with polish character set on new install [message #29017 is a reply to message #29016] Thu, 24 November 2005 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, I understand now. But it means that most of Polish users will face this error. AFAIK several professional ISPs has the same settings of MySQL. I've tried to install FUD on three different servers and I've got the same errors Confused
English installations were easy and smooth as skin of newborn baby Smile
Re: Problem with polish character set on new install [message #29018 is a reply to message #29017] Thu, 24 November 2005 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Try running an upgrade script on the forum and see if it works properly.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problem with polish character set on new install [message #29020 is a reply to message #29018] Fri, 25 November 2005 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got only this:

MySQL Error: #1267 (Illegal mix of collations (latin1_swedish_ci,IMPLICIT) and (latin2_general_ci,COERCIBLE) for operation '='): SELECT id FROM fud26_users WHERE login=

I guess that I've got error message because I've used Polish letters and/or space in my login. I can only try to uninstall old forum and install new one with classical one-word no-Pl letters login.
Re: Problem with polish character set on new install [message #29063 is a reply to message #29020] Mon, 28 November 2005 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mikolaj wrote on Thu, 24 November 2005 19:14

I guess that I've got error message because I've used Polish letters and/or space in my login.

OK, I've uninstalled forum and reinstalled it again. I've set my login without Polish characters and forum was installed and works properly. Unfortunately this is not the end of troubles, because:

1. Even with Polish settings during install Admin control panel is set to English. Is it normal and ACP is always English or maybe ACP was not translated?

2. When I've posted message with Polish letters, I've saw earlier bug again. It seems that FUD will always have problems with many of Polish professional ISPs. Of course I'll try to run query you've posted above but I'm afraid that many users will install phpBB instead.

Regards,

Peter
Re: Problem with polish character set on new install [message #29069 is a reply to message #29063] Mon, 28 November 2005 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Admin control panels are not translated, they are always in English, this does not change.

It'll work fine if you run the query I gave your, or run the upgrade script.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problem with polish character set on new install [message #29072 is a reply to message #29069] Mon, 28 November 2005 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Ilia, I'll write short note on my blog about proper Polish installation.

BTW - is it possible to translate ACPs? I and my moderators don't have major problems with English but I think that many other users will not install FUD because their English is limited.

Once again thanks a lot for this script Smile
Re: Problem with polish character set on new install [message #29073 is a reply to message #29072] Mon, 28 November 2005 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
There are no plans to translate the admin portion of the forum.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problem with polish character set on new install [message #29079 is a reply to message #28446] Mon, 28 November 2005 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've set all things properly. How?

1. Upgrade script doesn't work and after launching it forum still is buggy. Polish letters were displayed properly in message body but not properly in subject.

2. Your query doesn't work Twisted Evil because Polish characters are displayed in latin2, not latin1. Proper query is:
ALTER TABLE replace_with_table_name CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET latin2;

Now all seems to work OK.

Few words of my comments about FUD.

It's excellent forum script and I can recommend it to anyone who wants to start it for English users / English speaking community. Installation is fast and number of useful options is huge.

Unfortunately I'm quite sure that your script will not be very popular in Poland because:

1. Not all info are translated, i.e. "Show Own Posts" in profile menu, "Access Keys" in help menu or "Syndicate this forum (XML)".

I know that this is minor problem, but it should be corrected. When I find some spare time I'll certainly fix it.

2. English Admin Control Panel and moderator's options, i.e. "Delete All Selected", "Move All Selected".

This is major problem. Your script is far better than very popular phpBB, but many users doesn't speak English. They have to get complete l10n.

3. Database set on latin1 not latin2.

This is huge problem. I'm damn sure that most users have no idea how to run SQL queries and they will not use FUD. I guess that even users who have minor knowledge about phpMyAdmin will not run 51 queries on all tables - it's time consuming.
IMVHO such users should run one script changing all settings to latin2.
Re: Problem with polish character set on new install [message #29081 is a reply to message #29079] Mon, 28 November 2005 15:18 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Quote:

1. Not all info are translated, i.e. "Show Own Posts" in profile menu, "Access Keys" in help menu or "Syndicate this forum (XML)".

I know that this is minor problem, but it should be corrected. When I find some spare time I'll certainly fix it.

Just a matter of a Polish translator catching up to the English translation, temporary issue at best.

Quote:

2. English Admin Control Panel and moderator's options, i.e. "Delete All Selected", "Move All Selected".

This is major problem. Your script is far better than very popular phpBB, but many users doesn't speak English. They have to get complete l10n.

The admin control panels are left untranslated to keep the code simple, to allow easier recovery when things go wrong.

Quote:

3. Database set on latin1 not latin2.

This is huge problem. I'm damn sure that most users have no idea how to run SQL queries and they will not use FUD. I guess that even users who have minor knowledge about phpMyAdmin will not run 51 queries on all tables - it's time consuming.
IMVHO such users should run one script changing all settings to latin2.

I'll definately consider adding a control panel to do that.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: ini_set function
Next Topic: svp.ne does not find the way
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 15:28:53 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02507 seconds