FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » Upgrade advice sought
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Upgrade advice sought [message #28769] Fri, 11 November 2005 04:11 Go to next message
treebeard is currently offline  treebeard   United States
I'm running 2.6.11, and everything has been working great. Then last night tech support at my colo upgraded my php from 4.3.1 to 4.4.1, which is a good idea...but suddenly I started seeing errors on posting in the forum:

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/www/esea/forum/index.php on line 182

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/www/esea/forum/index.php on line 182

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/www/esea/forum/index.php:182) in
/home/www/esea/forum/theme/default/post.php on line 3912

Seems the problem is with

return mysql_fetch_row($result);

He rolled back to php 4.3.11 and all was good, but he strongly advises that I upgrade FUD to the latest and then upgrade php again. My questions:

1) Have you seen this error, and will upgrading FUD eliminate it?

2) Can I upgrade directly from 2.6.11 to 2.7.3? Any special precautions or steps to take before proceeding?

FUD rocks, and I want to stay current, but I don't want to break anything! Any advice would be welcomed.

TIA

[Updated on: Fri, 11 November 2005 04:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Upgrade advice sought [message #28788 is a reply to message #28769] Fri, 11 November 2005 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
You can upgrade directly from 2.6.11 to 2.7.3 as long as you are using a non-modified version of FUDforum. If you've customized the source code of the forum there maybe some regressions.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Upgrade advice sought [message #28805 is a reply to message #28788] Fri, 11 November 2005 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, Ilia. So I should make sure I have backups of any modified components, then run the upgrade and reapply any modifications afterwards, correct?
Re: Upgrade advice sought [message #28806 is a reply to message #28805] Fri, 11 November 2005 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Yes, but when you re-apply the changes keep in mind they may not necessarily work, so you may need to change them slightly to work with the newer code.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Upgrade advice sought [message #28810 is a reply to message #28806] Fri, 11 November 2005 16:01 Go to previous message
Thanks. Yes, I realize that. The changes I've made have been cosmetic, so that shouldn't be a problem.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Copyright still says 2004 on new installs
Next Topic: 2.7.2 to 2.7.3 upgrade error
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 13:56:34 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03620 seconds