FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » EDITING information text
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
EDITING information text [message #29455] Wed, 21 December 2005 17:36 Go to next message
daddeekool   Canada
When a new user registers for the Forum, they get an info page with Agree/Disagree buttons at the bottom. I need to edit the text on that page, where would I find that?

Thanks Ilia and friends - and happy holidays to all!
icon4.gif  Re: EDITING information text [message #29458 is a reply to message #29455] Wed, 21 December 2005 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
daddeekool   Canada
HELP, PLEASE! I found the template area (message editor) containing the text.I used the editing window and recomposed the text that I desired, and now I am getting an error message Rolling Eyes --

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in /var/www/virtual/scmembers/content/forums2/theme/default/pre_reg.php on line 62

Need some guidance, please - and Thanks.

[Updated on: Wed, 21 December 2005 21:47]

Report message to a moderator

Re: EDITING information text [message #29461 is a reply to message #29458] Wed, 21 December 2005 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Your text probably contains single quotes, you need to change them to HTML entity equivalent, "

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: EDITING information text [message #29464 is a reply to message #29461] Wed, 21 December 2005 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
daddeekool   Canada
Thanks Ilia. It seems that you were dead on - I recomposed and cleaned up the text area to remove the single quote marks and all seems well now.

Thanks again!
al
Re: EDITING information text [message #29469 is a reply to message #29461] Thu, 22 December 2005 02:48 Go to previous message
Cliff is currently offline  Cliff   United States
Actually, in this case I happen to know that it was an apostrophe (single quote) that caused the error, and which is represented by ' in HTML entity not " which is full double-quoation mark. (Unfortunately ' isn't recognized by some older versions of I.E. and the entity number is preferred for use instead)

Regardless, this means that when one enters normal text in that window, one can't use an apostrophe (like I just did in the contraction "can't") without substituing "can't: instead.

Not something I would have expected when presented with a simple text window that implies that you simply put in the text you want to change, not that you have to consider and use HTML or PHP coding or escape characters.

Seems like an added note on the editing window explaining the need to use HTML equivalents or escape characters for certain characters would help many users in this repsect.

Not a major criticism here, just pointing out the obvious little quirk when it comes to editing text in the template editor window, and which could be considered in future refinements of the software if you felt it was significant.

Cliff

[Updated on: Thu, 22 December 2005 02:56]

Report message to a moderator

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: maillist.php - mail kicks back
Next Topic: does it support php5 and postgresql8
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri May 24 09:50:42 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02160 seconds