FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Plugins and Code Hacks » You do not have appropriate permissions needed to see this topic.
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
You do not have appropriate permissions needed to see this topic. [message #30425] Fri, 24 February 2006 10:01 Go to next message
remek is currently offline  remek   Poland
Hi,
When I use "show what people are doing" feature I can see a lot of users with "You do not have appropriate permissions needed to see this topic" status. Why? I'm an administrator and moderator so I think I should know what people work on. Could you explain me in what situation this message appears?

Best regards
Remek
Re: You do not have appropriate permissions needed to see this topic. [message #30432 is a reply to message #30425] Fri, 24 February 2006 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
If you are logged is the admin user you should see the what the user is doing. Examining the code logic inside actions.php.t I don't see a problem with the code.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: You do not have appropriate permissions needed to see this topic. [message #30732 is a reply to message #30425] Sat, 11 March 2006 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JanRei is currently offline  JanRei   Germany
Contributing Core Developer
Translator
Can this text also appear under another condition?
I can see it quite often appearing next to anonymous users on this forum.
Re: You do not have appropriate permissions needed to see this topic. [message #30748 is a reply to message #30732] Sun, 12 March 2006 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
This will appear if the anon user tried to access visible but not accessible forum.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: You do not have appropriate permissions needed to see this topic. [message #30750 is a reply to message #30425] Sun, 12 March 2006 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Thank you for clarifying, I didn't thought of this possibility.
As I read this text, I thought that I hadn't the permission to see the topic that the anonymous user was seeing.
So how do you think about changing this to a phrase that makes this clear?

[Updated on: Sun, 12 March 2006 18:07]

Report message to a moderator

Re: You do not have appropriate permissions needed to see this topic. [message #30791 is a reply to message #30750] Mon, 13 March 2006 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
If you have suggestions I am more then happy to entertain them. You can change the text yourself by editing the appropriate entry via the template editor.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: You do not have appropriate permissions needed to see this topic. [message #30807 is a reply to message #30748] Tue, 14 March 2006 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
I have a solution in mind, but as I now have my own forum I would like to test it first.
Unfortunately I can't reproduce this:
Ilia wrote on Sun, 12 March 2006 18:26

This will appear if the anon user tried to access visible but not accessible forum.

I posted a link to a topic only registered members can access (permissions for anonymous users: Visible=Yes, Read=No) in a topic everybody can access. Now I logged off and followed the link, I got redirected to the login page. And the action list said: "Login Form".

Did I get your post wrong?

[Updated on: Wed, 15 March 2006 05:44]

Re: You do not have appropriate permissions needed to see this topic. [message #30813 is a reply to message #30807] Wed, 15 March 2006 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You didn't to replicate the problem you'd need to make your application not follow the redirect.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: You do not have appropriate permissions needed to see this topic. [message #30815 is a reply to message #30425] Wed, 15 March 2006 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Sorry, I can't reproduce it. So I make my suggestions, without having tested it.

My favourite solution would be:
Only show actions/posts, the watching user is allowed to see. If he isn't allowed to see the current action/post, show the last one.

But I think that this isn't possible for actions, because I think that there is no 'history' of actions by the user and only the last action is saved. In this case I'd like to suggest to pretend that the user is browsing the forum's list.

And for the anonymous user, I'd like to suggest that you show the last action the user was allow to do or leave it blank.

So in the end we wouldn't need this text any more.

[Updated on: Wed, 15 March 2006 21:08]

Re: You do not have appropriate permissions needed to see this topic. [message #30842 is a reply to message #30425] Fri, 17 March 2006 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Any comments on my suggestion? Rolling Eyes

EDIT (I want to add a reason for my suggestion):
I don't think that is a good idea to show this text, because maybe the admin wants to hide a forum completely to some users. And if these users see "You do not have appropriate permissions needed to see this topic." they will know that there is a forum that they can't see.

[Updated on: Sun, 19 March 2006 10:08]

Re: You do not have appropriate permissions needed to see this topic. [message #30894 is a reply to message #30842] Sun, 19 March 2006 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Storing browsing history of the user would be too slow and memory intensive, so there are no plans to do that in the near or far future. If you want to have different text displayed on no-permission, simply change the template and provide a different default then the one currently being used.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: You do not have appropriate permissions needed to see this topic. [message #30910 is a reply to message #30425] Mon, 20 March 2006 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Don't you think pretending the user is browsing the forum list is better than using the 'irritating' text?

Then we could change the text related to the anonymous user into something like "User isn't allowed to access topic".

And is it possible to show the last message (in the column "Last Message"), that the user is allowed to see instead of "You don't have ..."?

[Updated on: Mon, 20 March 2006 15:57]

Re: You do not have appropriate permissions needed to see this topic. [message #30911 is a reply to message #30910] Mon, 20 March 2006 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Why is it irritating, I don't see how it is irritating?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: You do not have appropriate permissions needed to see this topic. [message #30932 is a reply to message #30425] Tue, 21 March 2006 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Well, I think the text appearing next to anonymous users is irrating.
The other suggestions are not irrating but I think they would be nice in order to hide the hidden forums better (see my post above).

[Updated on: Tue, 21 March 2006 14:03]

Re: You do not have appropriate permissions needed to see this topic. [message #30938 is a reply to message #30932] Tue, 21 March 2006 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The current message hides hidden forum well, it leaks no information about the hidden forum. As I've said before if you want to alter the text, you can by editing the actions.tmpl template file.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: You do not have appropriate permissions needed to see this topic. [message #30955 is a reply to message #30425] Wed, 22 March 2006 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
I admit that the text doesn't give any information about the hidden forum, but the users reading the text will certainly know that there is a hidden forum.

Apparently you don't want to implement my suggestions, so I 'reduce' it to the suggestion to change the next appearing next to the anonymous users into "User isn't allowed to access topic".

[Updated on: Wed, 22 March 2006 14:09]

Re: You do not have appropriate permissions needed to see this topic. [message #30958 is a reply to message #30955] Wed, 22 March 2006 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Not necessarily, there are several protected areas of the forum such as "moderation control panels" that would also lead to such a message being displayed. So, a hidden forum is just one of many possible reasons for this message.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: You do not have appropriate permissions needed to see this topic. [message #30970 is a reply to message #30425] Wed, 22 March 2006 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Ah, didn't know this...

But I think that the only reason for this text appearing in the column "Last Message" can be a hidden forum. Or could this have other reasons too?
Re: You do not have appropriate permissions needed to see this topic. [message #30985 is a reply to message #30970] Thu, 23 March 2006 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Anytime when forum based admin control panel is accessed by moderator/admin this message may appear to users without the permission to see that forum.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: You do not have appropriate permissions needed to see this topic. [message #31014 is a reply to message #30425] Fri, 24 March 2006 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Yes, you explained me that (although the text "... to see this topic." could lead to the conclusion that there is a hidden forum), but what is about the "Last Message" column? This text appears there if you post in a hidden forum, but I don't think that this can have other reason.
Re: You do not have appropriate permissions needed to see this topic. [message #31025 is a reply to message #31014] Sun, 26 March 2006 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Look like I said before the forum is customizeable for a reason, if you want to change a text to something more appropriate to your forum, you can easily do so.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: You do not have appropriate permissions needed to see this topic. [message #31051 is a reply to message #30425] Tue, 28 March 2006 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Yes, I know that I can change the text on my own. But this wouldn't be my prefered solution...

But can you tell me what do you have against my suggestions?
Re: You do not have appropriate permissions needed to see this topic. [message #31075 is a reply to message #31051] Thu, 30 March 2006 19:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Because the current error message is clear and descriptive in regard to why information cannot be viewed.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: You do not have appropriate permissions needed to see this topic. [message #31104 is a reply to message #30425] Sat, 01 April 2006 18:13 Go to previous message
Translator
Well, I don't think that the message is clear. When I see "You don't have permission..." next to anonymous users I think there must be something wrong (Why does an anonymous user has more right than me?). And I think that this was the problem of remek (topic starter) too.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: fud_fetch_msg where is the message text?
Next Topic: PayPal cash for FUDForum scripts and hacks -- can you help...
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 20:07:25 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02604 seconds