FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » 13 suggestions
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
13 suggestions [message #30905] Mon, 20 March 2006 15:13 Go to next message
_wj_ is currently offline  _wj_   Ukraine

I use FUDForum for a long time and have a big list of suggestions:
  1. Rename link in Moderator Options of Topic
  2. E-Mail or PM notification to topic creator, that topic is renamed or merged with another topic (on/off) with link to new topic
  3. Link list all tools in panel Formatting Tools in Post Form (as for smiles)
  4. Possibility to merge topics not only through WYSIWYG Merge Topic Control Panel, but through id. For example, a simple field on the bottom of every topic (viewable only for moderators/administrators):
    Merge this topic with &th=[    ]     Resulting topic name [    ]       [Go]

Perhaps it is necessary to insert such field also in Merge Topic Control Panel:
    Merge topic &th=[    ]     Resulting topic name [    ]       [Go]
          with &th=[    ]
          link [more &th's]   //or through inserting few &th, separated with ';', in one textfield

Than it would be mutch simplier to find and merge few topics with no need to endless scrolling and strained attention of topic names list in Merge Topic Control Panel. And I have found a few bugs in merging: if I merge 2 topics and one of them is "sticky", than it loose "sticky" status. And after merging the resulting topic become Views number "0". Isn't it better to sum both Views or take the biggest?
  5. Checkboxes on posts in topics (like on list of topics) with group operations: delete; split to new topic with name [ ] and move to forum [ ]; merge with topic &th=[ ].
  6. I would like to see in Message Navigator search results not just small textpieces of posts with "... More >>" link, but the whole posts with original formatting. It would be much more userfriendly :) It is necessary to do it in Forum Search results too.
  7. E-mail notification to user that he was banned/unbanned
  8. Users can modify their post after moderator. For example: if moderator change word "f***" to "<censored>" in user's post, user can edit it back to "f***" :) Probably there should be a checkbox for moderator: edit and lock post.
  9. In "Report message to a moderator" users can insert only 245 symbols. Sometimes it is necessary to insert more words to explain.
  10. E-mail notification to moderator/administrator that there is Report message
  11. In "Show all messages by user" (in Profile) & "Show Own Posts" (in user CP) posts are displayed only as titles. It is much more comfortable to see original post like in thread.
  12. Opportunity to pick up the reason of deleting from the list (end edit this list here too). Typing reasons each time manually is a horror for me :)
  13. Saving deleted posts with possibility to restore. And here must be option to define the deep of saving, for examle "only last 1000 posts".

P.S. Sorry for my English :)
Re: 13 suggestions [message #30944 is a reply to message #30905] Tue, 21 March 2006 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Renaming of a topic is simply a matter of editing of the 1st message.

Notifications regarding banning are not such a hot idea IMO, because many banned users will simply go an re-register once they get such a notice.

Users can modify their posts, but "bad-word" filters will be re-applied if they are setup by the admin in the filter control panel. And the admin does have an option of locking a topic after they edit by simply checking the "Topic Locked" checkbox on the post form.

Showing original message body would take WAY too much space on search results making those pages unweildy. The idea behind search pages is to show as many results as possible on a single page.

As far as removal reasons I'd recommend simply to adjust the template and add a JavaScript powered selected that would pre-fill the text box with a given message based on selection.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: 13 suggestions [message #31548 is a reply to message #30944] Sat, 06 May 2006 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Quote:

Yes, but only first message will change a title. Recent message's titles remain unchanged.
And in case when title displaying is off (by template editing), than it is impossible to change the title of first message.
Quote:

Notifications regarding banning are not such a hot idea IMO, because many banned users will simply go an re-register once they get such a notice.

I mean the case when user is temporal banned. Something like this: "Dear user, you is banned for 7 day(s). The reason is: advertising in messages"
Quote:

Users can modify their posts, but "bad-word" filters will be re-applied if they are setup by the admin in the filter control panel. And the admin does have an option of locking a topic after they edit by simply checking the "Topic Locked" checkbox on the post form.

Yes, but when user type not a bad word, but (for example) "moderator is very, very bad person", than "bad-word" filters will not work.

And what about other 9 suggestions? :)
Re: 13 suggestions [message #31551 is a reply to message #31548] Sat, 06 May 2006 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
_wj_ wrote on Sat, 06 May 2006 08:13

Quote:

Yes, but only first message will change a title. Recent message's titles remain unchanged.
And in case when title displaying is off (by template editing), than it is impossible to change the title of first message.

That's intentional, when you reply to a topic you are not required to keep the topic's title as the subject.

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, but when user type not a bad word, but (for example) "moderator is very, very bad person", than "bad-word" filters will not work.

Filters can only go so far.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: 13 suggestions (change all subject lines on split/merge) [message #32545 is a reply to message #31551] Sat, 08 July 2006 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Astoria is currently offline  Astoria   United States
It would be a nice ability if I could modify the subject lines of each message in a thread with one command.

Could be added as a checkbox to the merge/split dialogues--lets moderator select whether he wants to rename only the first message or change all messages in the thread to the new subject.
Re: 13 suggestions (change all subject lines on split/merge) [message #32553 is a reply to message #32545] Sat, 08 July 2006 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I think this is a rare case and I don't see a need for this in the stock forum.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: 13 suggestions (change all subject lines on split/merge) [message #32555 is a reply to message #32553] Sat, 08 July 2006 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Astoria is currently offline  Astoria   United States
Ilia wrote on Sat, 08 July 2006 11:11

I think this is a rare case and I don't see a need for this in the stock forum.

I used to have to do it all the time on a political forum I admin'd. People would post threads with inflamatory titles, there would be huge arguments, and I would have to SQL in the title changes to the entire thread because there was no feature for the moderators to handle it.

No problem though; maybe I will add it to my site. Is thr_exch the place to look?
Re: 13 suggestions (change all subject lines on split/merge) [message #32572 is a reply to message #32555] Mon, 10 July 2006 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You want to edit thread.php.t most likely.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: 13 suggestions (change all subject lines on split/merge) [message #33807 is a reply to message #32572] Fri, 22 September 2006 14:21 Go to previous message

I have expressed suggestions #4 and #5 in more friendly style (see attachment).
What you think about it?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: vietnam time zone
Next Topic: Spell checker Dictionary should have an add word feature
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 19:14:05 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02910 seconds