FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » UNREAD where art thou?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
UNREAD where art thou? [message #31022] Sat, 25 March 2006 16:37 Go to next message
Mixerman is currently offline  Mixerman   United States
We just upgraded our FUD forums software, from whatever version was out two years ago. Yes, it's been a while.

I have a question, which is possibly a suggestion. In any event, it seems to me this is the most appropriate forum for this, and any help would be appreciated.

At the bottom of any individual forum, there is a selection box labeled "Goto Forum:" In this box, the forums are listed, and a surfer can jump to any other forum without actually returning to the main page. In the older version software we were using, there was an "UNREAD" indicator, which would appear next to a given forum name. This feature worked just like the light bulb on the main page, allowing a user to know if there were new posts in a particular forum, and thus allowing the user to jump directly to forums with new information. That UNREAD indicator is no longer present. Apparently, this was a VERY popular function among our users.

Does the current software do away with that handy feature? Or is there some setting that would allow us to turn that feature on?

If this feature has been removed, then I would like to suggest it's return. If the feature is still there, could someone tell me how to turn it on?

Thanks!

Mixerman
Re: UNREAD where art thou? [message #31029 is a reply to message #31022] Sun, 26 March 2006 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The feature was done away with due to performance reasons, in our audit we've determined that it causes a rather significant performance hit.

If you want to restore it you can download the old forumsel.inc.php from the web cvs and re-apply the unread patches to the new verion of the file.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: UNREAD where art thou? [message #34603 is a reply to message #31029] Thu, 09 November 2006 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Attila is currently offline  Attila   Germany
Hello,
in my forum the users also asked about this possibiltity in the "goto forum" box. I'm new here and so i tried to find the old forumsel.inc.php here but without success...
so my question is: where can i find that file to download? a link would be helpful.

Thanks,
Attila
Re: UNREAD where art thou? [message #34607 is a reply to message #34603] Thu, 09 November 2006 17:09 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
FUDforum used to have this functionality in the past, however it proved to be performance prohibitive and it was discontinued about a year ago.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Msg. preview nit--change focus
Next Topic: Show Own Topics and Files
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 22:42:29 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02656 seconds