FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » FATAL ERROR
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
FATAL ERROR [message #31272] Fri, 14 April 2006 09:37 Go to next message
burn-up is currently offline  burn-up   United Kingdom
Morning
I installed the forum within minutes, excellent.
Noticed the files were owned by www. My hosting company advised me to change the files to be owned by myself because files owned by www on a shared server were not safe. So naturally I did this. They also told me that php files should be 644 and direcorys should be 755. OK ... so I changed this to.

I need to check if this is ok with your software! is it?

I logged into the forum and all looked fine until I tired to save a post (BTW it did work before I made my changes), the following message appeared.

FATAL ERROR: could not open message store for forum id#180000

So something I've done is now stopping this great software from working!

Anyone know what it is?
Re: FATAL ERROR [message #31274 is a reply to message #31272] Fri, 14 April 2006 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
You should NOT change the ownership of the forum's file from the web server user (www) in your case. That is definately what has caused the problem.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: FATAL ERROR [message #31299 is a reply to message #31274] Sat, 15 April 2006 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
burn-up is currently offline  burn-up   United Kingdom
Yeah I thought as much.
I can't leave them as WWW as they expose security threats on the server I happen to be using.

If the fud software didn't have to write to physical files on the server (only read them) it would fine.

I've study the code for sometime now, and don't think it's possible to bypass this.

Does any one know of another forum software that doesn't need to write to physical files post installation! e.g. post install only the database is used when storing data. It obviously needs to be reliable and easy to install and back into?

Cheers all
Re: FATAL ERROR [message #31301 is a reply to message #31299] Sat, 15 April 2006 16:38 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The ownership of files being WWW causing a problem is a misconception, in fact leaving the files owned by your account is a greater security risk as it requires ALL files including settings files to be world-readable. This means that any user on the system can access you configuration file and gleam the login/password to your database.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Error on install
Next Topic: Newbie needs help in installation
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun May 26 21:25:48 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02163 seconds