FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » Install script fails after step 1
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Install script fails after step 1 [message #31555] Sat, 06 May 2006 21:22 Go to next message
tstevens   United States
I’m trying to install fudforum for the first time.
Install.php script fails after step one- After clicking ‘next’, page pauses for a minute or two, I then get the general IE error “The page cannot be displayed... Cannot find server or DNS Error” but no useful information.

Originally I tried to install v2.7.4, but got the WWW_ROOT_CHECK error. I uncommented that line to bypass that check, then it looked like it was working or something was happening at least, but then it failed as described above.

I then tried to install version 2.7.3. This one didn’t fail the WWW_ROOT_CHCEK test, but the same failure happened.

This is being run on Windows 2003 server, php 5.1.2, iis 6.

I’ve seen mentions of making sure the install script was downloaded as binary, not ascii. How would I verify this? From the download site, I did ‘save as’ and saved to the desktop; from there I used winzip to unzip it. Was that the correct way?

I’m logging all php error messages, and getting none.

For a while I thought it might be a permissions issue, as I had to give ‘network service’ permission to read php_mysql.dll to even get to step 1, and I think I’ve set all the permissions I have to. I guess it still could be this, but I doubt it.

I’ve gone through php.ini to make sure everything is set correctly, and I think it is, but I could have missed something.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tim

Re: Install script fails after step 1 [message #31556 is a reply to message #31555] Sat, 06 May 2006 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Try installing 2.7.5RC1 it has a workaround for a bug in PHP.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Install script fails after step 1 [message #31557 is a reply to message #31555] Sat, 06 May 2006 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tstevens   United States
Thanks for your quick reply.

That definitely helped, I’m a little closer but am at a different error message.

This version initially failed the www_root_check test as the previous versions did, so I did the workaround. A caveat to that- just uncommenting that line didn’t do the trick, so in addition to that I changed the line "if (fud_ini_get('allow_url_fopen'))" to "if (0)". From what I can tell, this is an equivalent workaround. Let me know if I’m mistaken.

Anyway, the current error message I’m getting is the “Archive did not pass checksum test, CORRUPT ARCHIVE” message.

I’m downloading this to my desktop (got the same result with zlib compression and without), then using winzip to extract it, then dragging it to the correct location. Is this the correct way to do it, or does winzip corrupt it somehow? Since I'm installing if from the same machine I downloaded it from, should this even be an issue?

I did some debugging, and I noticed this: In install.php, when I changed the return value for ‘decompress_archive’ to display the values md5($data) and $checksum, I saw two things of interest: 1) a value did not display at all for $checksum, and 2) each time I changed something in install.php, md5($data) was something different. This makes sense, but would this cause a problem because of the previous hack (bypassing www_root_check)?

If there’s any more information you’d need, or any additional debugging I could do, please let me know.

Thanks
Re: Install script fails after step 1 [message #31561 is a reply to message #31557] Sun, 07 May 2006 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I suspect what is hapening is that when you edit the file, your editor converts unix line endings to windows ones, this causes the checksum to fail.

There are two possible solutions:

1) Into the install directory put .htaccess file that says php_flag allow_url_fopen 0
2) Tell your editor to not convert line endings, most editors have such an option.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Install script fails after step 1 [message #31562 is a reply to message #31555] Mon, 08 May 2006 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tstevens   United States
No go. I couldn’t do 1) because that's not a valid file name in windows, but I did try 2). I used good ol' hexedit.exe from win98, but I’m getting the same error.

Since I’m sure the line ending thing isn’t an issue (because of hexedit), could I bypass that check, or will that cause issues later in the install?
Re: Install script fails after step 1 [message #31573 is a reply to message #31562] Mon, 08 May 2006 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The problem may not be your hexeditor but your FTP client that may be doing the conversion. As far as .htaccess not being a valid filename, since when? It works just fine on Windows XP.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Install script fails after step 1 [message #31579 is a reply to message #31555] Mon, 08 May 2006 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tstevens   United States
I stand corrected about .htaccess.

Correct me if I'm wrong about this, but I don't think I'm using an FTP client. I save the zip to the desktop, extract the files, and run the install file from the same windows machine I downloaded it to in the first place.

I hope I don't sound like an idiot about this, but my knowledge of FTP/compression/anything above layer 3 of the osi model is fairly limited.
Re: Install script fails after step 1 [message #31600 is a reply to message #31579] Tue, 09 May 2006 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The way you run the file is perfectly fine from what you describe, the issue from what I understand happens when you attempt to edit it. At which point the editor does more the intended causing the file checksum to mismatch. So the alternative is to disable allow_url_fopen PHP ini setting, if .htaccess does not do it change it temporarily inside your php.ini

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Install script fails after step 1 [message #31612 is a reply to message #31555] Wed, 10 May 2006 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tstevens   United States
That flag was set to 0 in php.ini, and verified by the phpinfo().

I'm still getting that compression error, but the odd part is that now, with that flag set to 0, I don't have to comment out that line in the install file to get to where it tells me there's a compression error.

So, I'm still getting the compression error, after not editing the install file at all.
Re: Install script fails after step 1 [message #31626 is a reply to message #31612] Wed, 10 May 2006 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Did you download the zip file or the tar.gz or tar.bz2 files? Can you try downloading the tar.gz and/or tag.bz2 files and running them. Also, when you decompress those files compare install.php found within to the one you have to see if the two are the same.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Install script fails after step 1 [message #31630 is a reply to message #31555] Wed, 10 May 2006 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tstevens   United States
Ditto to what's happening with Stoffel's install, all versions say corrupt archive.

I did a diff with the .tar and the .zip versions, and they are identical.

I'll echo Stoffel's question, is there a way to get the uncompressed version so this isn't an issue?
Re: Install script fails after step 1 [message #31682 is a reply to message #31630] Thu, 11 May 2006 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The installer always comes in a form of a single file install.php into which the data archive is packed.

FUDforum Core Developer
icon9.gif  Re: Install script fails after step 1 [message #31755 is a reply to message #31555] Tue, 16 May 2006 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CcChen is currently offline  CcChen   China
I have got the similar problem.
when I go throught the Step 1, I have got the HTTP 500 ERROR.
PS: Windows2003 IIS 6.0 + PHP 5.14
Re: Install script fails after step 1 [message #31764 is a reply to message #31555] Wed, 17 May 2006 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
user_06 is currently offline  user_06   Russian Federation
I have the same trouble after step 1 while install the forum.
http://tcb.org.ru/err.jpg
I tried veersion 2.7.4 and 2.7.5RC1, the problem still take place! How to resolve it?
Windows XP + Apache 1.3.34 / PHP 5.1.2 (as apache module)
Re: Install script fails after step 1 [message #31765 is a reply to message #31764] Wed, 17 May 2006 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ggray is currently offline  ggray   Ukraine

this fixed with 2.7.5RC2
Re: Install script fails after step 1 [message #31766 is a reply to message #31555] Wed, 17 May 2006 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with 2.7.5RC2 the same error has occured!!!
Re: Install script fails after step 1 [message #31767 is a reply to message #31555] Wed, 17 May 2006 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tstevens   United States
2.7.5RC2 works.

All of the issues I was seeing before seem to go away; the installation completes, and I can log on to the forum.

Thanks much to Ilia for all the help with this process, and to whichever developers released RC2.
Re: Install script fails after step 1 [message #31768 is a reply to message #31767] Wed, 17 May 2006 12:09 Go to previous message
tstevens wrote on Wed, 17 May 2006 07:49

2.7.5RC2 works.

confirmed!
but, for the first time i've run the install.php, the error described above has occuren.
Later, ALL OK!!!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Error while updating
Next Topic: How to install onto an existing Database?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun May 19 01:27:00 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03094 seconds