FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » Install.php Again!
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Install.php Again! [message #31702] Sun, 14 May 2006 09:47 Go to next message
aleman   United Kingdom
Hi guys,

FIrst an apology, I come from a Windows environment so all this linuxy thing is new to me and although I am old enogh to remember Mess DOS 2.1, its been a long time since I used a real command line based OS, I am therfore very slow, and finding it difficult to know mt tar, from my gunzip, from my bunfight Razz

OK well I was going to go with phpBB, but another guy that I'm collaborating with suggested that we use FUDForum, as it has the mailing list integration that we require, ok no biggy, so I downloaded the latest version in bz2 format, coppied it to the host in the chmodded 777 forums directory.

Bunzipped it Fine
Extracted files from the tar
which gave me some directories and an install file install.php

Everything sound normal up to here?

Go to the web browser (Firefox) and attempt to run the script and all i get is

No input file specified.

displayed in the browser window

Am I Missing something here? I thought there was supposed to be a 5 step wizzard. I'm going back to the manual to see if there is anything obvious, but it can't be any thing major.

--
Aleman
Re: Install.php Again! [message #31703 is a reply to message #31702] Sun, 14 May 2006 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aleman   United Kingdom
Embarassed

Oh dear, what a plonker!

When I untard the install script I din't notice that the files were placed into a NEW directory, not the directory where I was running the tar from. Moving the Install script to the original directory fixed that.

Have another problem though

After moving the install script I am running it OK problem is when I get to stage two.

I have created an empty mysql DB which on my host is hosted at

mysqlsubdomain.mydomain.info

is that the host that I put into the IP address (After the DNS changes are propagated)? I feel sure that it must be, as if I used an absolute IP address if my site is moved by my host to another server the forum will break?

Argh Help

--
Aleman
Re: Install.php Again! [message #31705 is a reply to message #31703] Sun, 14 May 2006 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
You can put the IP address into the host, it'll work fine with it.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Install.php Again! [message #31711 is a reply to message #31705] Sun, 14 May 2006 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aleman   United Kingdom
Doing a ping on the mysqlsubdomain.mydomain.info give me an IP address, but when I enter that into the HOST Field I get

Failed to connect to the MySQL Server, SQL Reason: Unknown MySQL server host 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx'

With these warnings in the script

Warning: mysql_connect(): Unknown MySQL server host 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' (1) in /home/user/mydomain.info/forums/install.php on line 97

Warning: mysql_select_db(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/user/mydomain.info/forums/install.php on line 101

Warning: mysql_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/user/mydomain.info/forums/install.php on line 164

its got to be something obvious

I can connect tot he database via a ssh command line

--
Aleman
Re: Install.php Again! [message #31712 is a reply to message #31711] Sun, 14 May 2006 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Have you tried entering the sub-domain? The error message implies that the mysql_connect() command was not unable to find a MySQl server at the indicated address.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Install.php Again! [message #31713 is a reply to message #31712] Sun, 14 May 2006 16:10 Go to previous message
aleman   United Kingdom
Thanks Ilia,

Yes I have tried the subdomain and I get exactly the same error messages.

I can phpAdmin the database from my PC (Rather than the host via a ssh connection) using the subDomain as connection.

However Something was wrong, as when I copied the phpAdmin host and pasted it I moved to step three.

So Step three and 4 completed
Just need to delete the install script

Thanks for all your help especially on a Sunday . . . Kudos

--
Aleman
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: upgrade failed
Next Topic: FUDForum Installed - Files Locked
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun May 19 03:12:02 GMT 2024