FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » FUDforum incompatible with phpsuexec
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
FUDforum incompatible with phpsuexec [message #32790] Fri, 21 July 2006 16:59 Go to next message
TonyMarston is currently offline  TonyMarston   United Kingdom
My hosting company has decided, for security reasons, to enable phpsuexec on all of its servers. This basically runs PHP as CGI instead of an Apache module, but one of the side effects is that it is no longer possible to put any PHP directves in a .htaccess file - they all have to go into a local php.ini file instead. I have changed all my .htaccess files accordingly, and everything works except FUDforum which throws up the following errors on each page:

Warning: fud_use(/home/radicore/FUDforum/include/theme/default/err.inc): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/radicore/FUDforum/include/core.inc on line 69

Warning: fud_use(): Failed opening '/home/radicore/FUDforum/include/theme/default/err.inc' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/home/radicore/public_html /inc') in /home/radicore/FUDforum/include/core.inc on line 69

The page then renders without any css styling whatsoever, so it looks pretty grim.

Is there a way around this, or is it not possible for FUDforum to run with phpsuexec enabled?

Tony Marston
Re: FUDforum incompatible with phpsuexec [message #32811 is a reply to message #32790] Sun, 23 July 2006 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The problem is that you've installed FUDforum before phpsuexec was put in place and all files are owned by the webserver user and secure file permissions deny your user access to them. The solution is to have your ISP chown the FUDforum files to your user/group.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: FUDforum incompatible with phpsuexec [message #32821 is a reply to message #32811] Mon, 24 July 2006 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TonyMarston is currently offline  TonyMarston   United Kingdom
Unfortunately your response came too late. I decided to try re-installing the software (after taking a database backup, of course). I found that I had to take all the PHP directives out of the .htaccess file and place them in a php.ini file then I had to delete and recreate all the main directories as the original subdirectories were created with owner="nobody" and were now inaccessible to me.

I reloaded the database I had backed up, but guess what I found? All the messages had subject text but no body text! After a grea deal of investigation I discovered that FUDforum does not store message bodies in the database, it uses a series of flat files in the /message/ subdirectory instead, a subdirectory which I had deleted. I now have a forum where al the message bodies are empty, thus making them totally useless.

Can you please explain who decided NOT to store message bodies in the database? Any reasonable person would assume that everything is held within the database and that a backup/restore would cover the whole forum.

Are there plans to rectify this ridiculous design error?

Tony Marston
Re: FUDforum incompatible with phpsuexec [message #32823 is a reply to message #32821] Mon, 24 July 2006 13:17 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
This is an intentional design decision for performance, if you search the forum archives you'll find a more detailed explanation. That said, there is an option inside the forum settings that will allow you to tell the forum to store the messages inside the database.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: ARG !! HELP ME !
Next Topic: Apache isn't processing install.php
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 12:51:21 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03045 seconds