FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Make 'Subscribe' a real button
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Make 'Subscribe' a real button [message #33499] Mon, 04 September 2006 18:24 Go to next message
heron is currently offline  heron   Germany
Hi,

once in a while I get complaints from users, that they didn't know that they can subscribe to a forum until I told them. They just don't seem to realize that there is a subscribe link in the thread view. So, I looked at the database to find out how many users are subscribed to at least one forum. Out of 1357 users only 27 were subscribed to at least one forum!

It will probably help to make 'Subscribe' a real button just like 'New Topic' and 'Tree View' are. I'm aware that this affects other buttons like 'Merge Topic' as well. But I think, it's a noticeable usability improvement.

Thanks,
Heron
Re: Make 'Subscribe' a real button [message #33513 is a reply to message #33499] Tue, 05 September 2006 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Has anyone found this to be the case?

Personally I think the subscription link is not that necessary since if you leave subscription setting @ defaults in your profile, then every-time you reply or post a new topic you'd be subscribed to the topic. Unless "Post Notification" checkbox is manually unchecked.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Make 'Subscribe' a real button [message #33517 is a reply to message #33513] Tue, 05 September 2006 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The subscription settings are good for unsubscribing. But most users don't realize that they have to subscribe to a forum to get all postings in a forum. My forum sends out full messages, not just notifications. They read the forum primarily through emails. They only come to the forum to post or search. And most users don't find the 'subscribe' link for the forum. That's why I would like to turn this into a real button.

Heron
Re: Make 'Subscribe' a real button [message #33518 is a reply to message #33517] Tue, 05 September 2006 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Unless you made it to that the FUDforum sends notification of every message posted, forum notifications would only notify people about new topics.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Make 'Subscribe' a real button [message #33520 is a reply to message #33518] Tue, 05 September 2006 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, I'm aware of this and have it enabled. But a user has to be subscribed to the forum for it to work.

Heron

[Updated on: Fri, 08 September 2006 16:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Make 'Subscribe' a real button [message #33533 is a reply to message #33520] Wed, 06 September 2006 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You could easily add a button for this purpose by adjusting the thread.tmpl and threadt.tmpl template on your forum. I am just not sure this is something the "core" forum needs to have.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Make 'Subscribe' a real button [message #33597 is a reply to message #33533] Fri, 08 September 2006 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Of course, I can do this. In fact, I already did so. But I could not find the same font for creating the button image. But I though you were interested in improving the usability of your software.

Heron
Re: Make 'Subscribe' a real button [message #33628 is a reply to message #33597] Mon, 11 September 2006 13:49 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
I appreciate your suggestion, I just don't feel that this addition would needed for general use forums. It makes perfect sense for your application, but I don't think that is a common case.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Search biography
Next Topic: "plug-ins"
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun May 26 00:13:38 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02726 seconds