FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » How Do I Create A Secret/Protected Forum?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
How Do I Create A Secret/Protected Forum? [message #33547] Thu, 07 September 2006 11:05 Go to next message
Dustin Kowalski is currently offline  Dustin Kowalski   United Kingdom
Hey:

Here's my problem. My Esperanto group has just set up a forum, in which there are serious, Esperanto-based forums and threads, and off-topic forums that quickly descend to puerile talk and laughing.

I want people to come in and only have access to the serious forums first, because I'm concerned that if a newcomer comes straight to our chat forums, they might not come back.

Other types of forum offer password protection, whereby you can only enter that particular forum with the aid of a password. The one on FUDforums is different because you can still read the content; you just need the password to post. This isn't what I need.

My thought was that I can create a special group of users which have access to all forums (the same as the default group PLUS the chat forums). Once users have been around for a while, they can ask me to change their status.

I've tried using the Group Permission System ... it doesn't appear to be working.

Please tell me how to do restrict viewing permission to these people. Please do so by explaining how exactly to do so, rather than just something like "You need to use the Group Permission System" etc. I've read the manual, and it doesn't help.

Thanks.
Re: How Do I Create A Secret/Protected Forum? [message #33550 is a reply to message #33547] Thu, 07 September 2006 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Well, if you just have a "few" non-serious forums you can use the group manager linked from the forum's front page to take away permissions from that forum from all registered and anonymous user marks. And then only add members who can view the relevant forums. If you have more then 2 forums like this, I'd suggest creating a group for this purpose.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: How Do I Create A Secret/Protected Forum? [message #33554 is a reply to message #33550] Thu, 07 September 2006 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Thu, 07 September 2006 14:22

Well, if you just have a "few" non-serious forums you can use the group manager linked from the forum's front page to take away permissions from that forum from all registered and anonymous user marks. And then only add members who can view the relevant forums. If you have more then 2 forums like this, I'd suggest creating a group for this purpose.

Thanks for the speedy response, Ilia. It's much appreciated.

I'm still pretty new to this, but I think I'll give it a try.

I'll need to set up a group, I think. Even though I only have one forum like this, I don't even want people who have registered to be able to access this forum until they've had a few days to browse the serious stuff and see that we're not just clowns.

So, I'd need to create a group, let's call it "Elevated". I assume I'd need "registered and anonymous user masks" switched on too.

How do I switch the membership status of a member though? How can I take them from regular member to "Elevated"?

This sounds OK in principle, but I think I'm gonna be getting myself confused. Thanks for the help so far, though http://www.jeb.org.uk/forumoj/images/smiley_icons/Bowdown.gif

[Updated on: Thu, 07 September 2006 13:47]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How Do I Create A Secret/Protected Forum? [message #33559 is a reply to message #33554] Thu, 07 September 2006 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
You create a new group, be sure to select create anon and all registered masks when you do and assign it the forum in question. Once that is done, go to forum's main page and click on the group manager. There edit the new group and take away permissions from the anon and registered users and then add any users who need access to the forum giving them appropriate permissions.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: How Do I Create A Secret/Protected Forum? [message #33564 is a reply to message #33559] Thu, 07 September 2006 14:32 Go to previous message
Ha! Got there! Thank you sooooo much! http://www.jeb.org.uk/forumoj/images/smiley_icons/Not-Worthy.gif
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Posting levels
Next Topic: Login as user to verify permissions
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 14:11:33 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02789 seconds