FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » Why all the attitude about LOCK TABLES issues?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Why all the attitude about LOCK TABLES issues? [message #33570] Thu, 07 September 2006 20:28
mcsquared is currently offline  mcsquared   United States
I was excited about FUDforum due to very positive recommendations from a friend. I downloaded the product and began to install it. I received the error message about not having LOCK TABLES permissions in MySQL.

Due to this I searched the forums here to find out if there is any way around having to have that permission, as my hosting provider simply will not grant this level of MySQL access to shared hosting customers. I found, by browsing the forums here, that I'm not alone in this problem.

But what really dismayed me was to see the unhelpful, dismissive tone of the answers given to users having this problem. There is quite a bit of mild, condescending sarcasm along the lines of, "That's a pretty clear error message, isn't it?" Maybe it is for some of us, and maybe it's not for everybody. There is no need to almost insult a user if they are surprised to not have a simple install from a software package. Why the judgement and reluctance to really help much?

I don't see why the average user needs to be an expert in MySQL permissions and if not is just sent to a lengthy, exhaustive MySQL manual page about the GRANT statement. For those who aren't super-conversant in MySQL (and why should that be a prerequisite to wanting to run forums software?) why not just supply an example of the full command so those people can at least try the command and see if they can do it?

And finally, since many, many hosting providers will simply not grant this access, why isn't there any attention paid to a workaround? I have tried two other forum software packages which run and install just fine without having to lock tables. More flexibility in this area will only allow a greater number of people to use the software you want to promote. If there is a really big reason not to do this, at least a simple summary explanation would seem nicer than, "Just make them give you this access."

I don't think I will be coming back to give FUDforums another look. It seems clear that new users aren't too welcome in the user community.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: installation and mysql
Next Topic: Upgrade from 2.0.5 to 2.7.5 results in all msgs getting corrupt
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 13:14:47 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02634 seconds