FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Search biography
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Search biography [message #33572] Fri, 08 September 2006 10:47 Go to next message
_wj_ is currently offline  _wj_   Ukraine

Is it possible to add a search not only in messages or subjects but also in biography?

Example: my users writing configurations of their PC 's in biography field and want to have an opportunity to search others with equal hardware to share experience.
Re: Search biography [message #33574 is a reply to message #33572] Fri, 08 September 2006 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
It cannot that would be too slow, plus to me it does not sound logical at all. I cannot see why would you try to find messages based on biography.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Search biography [message #33581 is a reply to message #33574] Fri, 08 September 2006 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Ilia

I cannot see why would you try to find messages based on biography.
That is useful when I search users with certain hardware or interest or job etc.

Example. When anyone want to ask an owner of "Asus P4P800-VM" (see my info) about possible troubles with this MB, he can find me than through the forum.
Re: Search biography [message #33584 is a reply to message #33581] Fri, 08 September 2006 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I think this is a very "forum specific" request, you can certainly (and probably should) add it to your forum if you feel your users need this feature. But for general FUDforum I think it'd be more along of the lines of feature for a sake of a feature. More over it'd have some adverse performance consequences.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Search biography [message #33586 is a reply to message #33584] Fri, 08 September 2006 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Understand...
Can you give a few hints how to implement this feature to the forum?
Re: Search biography [message #33587 is a reply to message #33586] Fri, 08 September 2006 15:38 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
I think the way I would do it, is rather then adding to the general search, add it to the member list, allowing you to find users that share your interests and THEN look at their messages. This means you'd need to modify finduser.php.t and finduser.tmpl files.

Take a look at that code and let me know if you have specific questions.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Rename 'Settings' to 'Notifications' in user CP
Next Topic: Make 'Subscribe' a real button
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 25 06:26:00 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02660 seconds