FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » Problems with translation in "show what people are doing"?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Problems with translation in "show what people are doing"? [message #33821] Fri, 22 September 2006 17:29 Go to next message
JanRei is currently offline  JanRei   Germany
Contributing Core Developer
Translator
I just saw that there is a lot of untranslated text in the "action" column in "show what people are doing". It just looks like that the translations are not used sometimes.
Re: Problems with translation in "show what people are doing"? [message #33822 is a reply to message #33821] Fri, 22 September 2006 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   United States
Administrator
Core Developer
That text comes from the templates, I believe it depends on the theme of the "browsing" user who actually performs the action.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problems with translation in "show what people are doing"? [message #33824 is a reply to message #33821] Fri, 22 September 2006 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Yes, you are right. Is it possible to change it so the messages are shown in the language of the user who is using "show what people are doing"?
Re: Problems with translation in "show what people are doing"? [message #33827 is a reply to message #33824] Fri, 22 September 2006 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   United States
Administrator
Core Developer
Not really, not without adding massive amount of overhead that is...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problems with translation in "show what people are doing"? [message #33840 is a reply to message #33821] Sat, 23 September 2006 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
I think the current solution is not good. If you have an big international forum you will have a lot of languages on that page, and most of them you will probably not understand. In my opionion this page doesn't make a lot of sense with this behaviour.
Re: Problems with translation in "show what people are doing"? [message #33841 is a reply to message #33840] Sat, 23 September 2006 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
I think it is a bad idea to have one forum with multiple languages enabled in it in most cases. That would lead to all manner of confusion, the localizations of FUDforum exist primarily to allow people to have a forum install in their language of choice.

You can certainly run FUDforum with multiple languages enabled, but things like "what people are doing" and e-mail notifications will appear in the language of the user taking the action.

There are no plans to alter this behavior.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problems with translation in "show what people are doing"? [message #33860 is a reply to message #33821] Sun, 24 September 2006 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
OK, I see your point. Although I know that there are forums that are divided into several sections (one section for one language). For people using such forums it would be nice to provide the possibility that they can see the forum completely in their language.
Re: Problems with translation in "show what people are doing"? [message #33862 is a reply to message #33860] Sun, 24 September 2006 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I think for the few forums in this situations there is the option of custom solution, this Open Source software after all. For main-stay FUDforum this is not an issue in my opinion and I see no reason to slow down general forum operation for "unusual" modes of operation.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problems with translation in "show what people are doing"? [message #33900 is a reply to message #33821] Mon, 25 September 2006 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
OK, I understand that this change would slow down generation of the action list. I think that one reason why this is a problem is because everthing is shown on one single page.
Maybe dividing the page in several pages is an option? Since we are on the topic of improving the page: I also think that adding some sorting possibilies wouldn't be bad.
Re: Problems with translation in "show what people are doing"? [message #33904 is a reply to message #33900] Tue, 26 September 2006 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
As I've said earlier there are no plans to split the page or to add individual localization at this time.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Problems with translation in "show what people are doing"? [message #33912 is a reply to message #33821] Tue, 26 September 2006 20:36 Go to previous message
Translator
OK, of course it is your decision. I just thought that in contrast to the individual translations, splitting the page or adding some sorting to the page is something nearly for all FUDforum users. For example it would reduce the scrolling needed to reach the "Refresh List" link or the actions of the forum members (that are always at the buttom of the page).
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: DUPLICATE MESSAGES
Next Topic: Cannot post!
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:37:02 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02061 seconds