FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Plugins and Code Hacks » Replying by email
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Replying by email [message #35053] Mon, 04 December 2006 16:13 Go to next message
zevs is currently offline  zevs   Israel
Hi all. I've been working on migrating my Yahoo Group to FUDforum, and the major technical issue that's killing us is replying by email. On Yahoo, hitting reply would send an email directly to the sender, but here, the approach is about replying to the entire forum. Fud has a lot of good tools like PM and the ability to email from the user's profile, but my users are spoiled by Yahoo's simplicity.

Specific questions:
1. Can a "reply by email" button be added to messages? I would prefer that it open with the text of the quoted message.

(PMs aren't a full answer because we allow anonymous users to post. That being said, a hack to make PMs open up with the quoted message text would also be a good touch.)

2. All of the emails sent to the subscribers of a forum are "from" the same administrative address. How can we change the "From" and "reply-to" to the email address of the person who posted the message.

I would be super grateful for help with these issues.
Re: Replying by email [message #35059 is a reply to message #35053] Mon, 04 December 2006 17:21 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Quote:

1. Can a "reply by email" button be added to messages? I would prefer that it open with the text of the quoted message.

You can modify the drawmsg.tmpl (draws the message) template to display an e-mail link that would allow a person to reply to the poster via e-mail. mailto: link allows for subject & body to be passed via GET params so you should be able to accomplish what you want.

Quote:

2. All of the emails sent to the subscribers of a forum are "from" the same administrative address. How can we change the "From" and "reply-to" to the email address of the person who posted the message.

if you use mailto: then e-mail will be sent via person's e-mail client solving the From:/To: header issue.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Question: RDF parsers, howto?
Next Topic: Reply to PM with Message Quote?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 20:13:35 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04797 seconds