FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » 2.7.5 topic has been read mistake
Show: Today's Messages :: Unread Messages :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
| Subscribe to topic | Bookmark topic 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
2.7.5 topic has been read mistake [message #36825] Thu, 12 April 2007 15:48 Go to next message
Stephane is currently offline  Stephane   Netherlands
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
When there are several new posts in a topic and I use the arrow to go to the last post I get the next situation.
It goes to the newest post where I stopped reading as is correct. When the there is a new page though, and I read it too, in the category it still says there are new posts. When I hit the arrow again it goes to the next page, which I had read already but it doesn't seem to "see" that I was there already.
Re: 2.7.5 topic has been read mistake [message #36830 is a reply to message #36825] Thu, 12 April 2007 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
add to buddy list
Can you try to replicate the issue with 2.7.7RC1?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: 2.7.5 topic has been read mistake [message #37147 is a reply to message #36825] Tue, 08 May 2007 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JanRei is currently offline  JanRei   Germany
Contributing Core Developer
Translator
add to buddy list
I am able to replicate this on my installation of FUDforum which is almost latest CVS.
Re: 2.7.5 topic has been read mistake [message #37466 is a reply to message #36825] Fri, 25 May 2007 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
add to buddy list
Did you have already a look at this issue, Ilia?
Re: 2.7.5 topic has been read mistake [message #37483 is a reply to message #37466] Mon, 28 May 2007 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   
Administrator
Core Developer
add to buddy list
Yes, unfortunately I could not create a reproduce scenario.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: 2.7.5 topic has been read mistake [message #37501 is a reply to message #36825] Wed, 30 May 2007 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
add to buddy list
I installed FUDforum from latest cvs and created one additional user (I also lowered the number of messages per page so that I have to make less test messages).

Then I made a topic with a lot of test messages so that it consisted of three pages and logged off and logged in as the other user. I clicked on the arrow that brings you to the last unread message and I got the first page of the topic. I clicked trough all pages of the topic, went back to topic listing, clicked the arrow again (it is still there although I have read the whole topic) and I got the second page of the topic.
Re: 2.7.5 topic has been read mistake [message #38475 is a reply to message #36825] Wed, 08 August 2007 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JanRei is currently offline  JanRei   
Translator
add to buddy list
Have you been able to reproduce the issue or is there something I could help with?
Re: 2.7.5 topic has been read mistake [message #39161 is a reply to message #38475] Thu, 04 October 2007 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marticus   United States
add to buddy list
I've seen this many times, but I'm not certain how I fixed it or if it simply went away on its own. Try consistency check. Also try mark all messages as read.
Re: 2.7.5 topic has been read mistake [message #39162 is a reply to message #36825] Fri, 05 October 2007 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
add to buddy list
I am always a bit uncertain what to do in case Ilia doesn't answer, but in the meantime I have looked into this issue a bit. Thank you for bringing this up again.

My assumption is that this has something to do with the fact that URLs for the next pages in a thread always contain "prevloaded=1". But the messages are only marked as read if prevloaded is not set, please see the following code from msg.php:

<?php
    if 
(!isset($_GET['prevloaded'])) {
        while (@ob_end_flush());
        th_inc_view_count($frm->id);
        if (_uid && $obj2) {
            if ($frm->last_forum_view < $obj2->post_stamp) {
                user_register_forum_view($frm->forum_id);
            }
            if ($frm->last_view < $obj2->post_stamp) {
                user_register_thread_view($frm->id, $obj2->post_stamp, $obj2->id);
            }
        }
    }
?>

[Updated on: Fri, 05 October 2007 13:00]

Report message to a moderator

Re: 2.7.5 topic has been read mistake (also in 2.7.7 RC2) [message #39960 is a reply to message #39162] Sat, 29 December 2007 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Astoria is currently offline  Astoria   United States
add to buddy list
I have noticed a similar problem in my installation. If I go to a topic that has new replies from the forum index, and then page through it from within the topic, it still shows up as having new replies even though I just paged through them all.

JanRei, thanks for pointing out the arrow that takes you to the first unread post. I hadn't even noticed that!
Re: 2.7.5 topic has been read mistake (also in 2.7.7 RC2) [message #39968 is a reply to message #39960] Sun, 30 December 2007 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
add to buddy list
Even if you page to the last page of the topic?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: 2.7.5 topic has been read mistake (also in 2.7.7 RC2) [message #39970 is a reply to message #39968] Sun, 30 December 2007 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Astoria is currently offline  Astoria   United States
add to buddy list
Ilia wrote on Sun, 30 December 2007 07:48

Even if you page to the last page of the topic?

Yes, if I page to it from within viewing the thread.

I haven't tracked it extensively but it might only happen if new posts were made onto the thread after I had started reading it but before I got to the last page.
Re: 2.7.5 topic has been read mistake [message #39973 is a reply to message #36825] Sun, 30 December 2007 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
add to buddy list
I don't think that it is related to other users posting new messages because I could reproduce the problem on a forum where only I have access to.

Ilia, could it have something to do with the "prevloaded=1" in the URLs as I described above?
Re: 2.7.5 topic has been read mistake [message #39980 is a reply to message #39973] Mon, 31 December 2007 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
add to buddy list
Yes it would, prevloaded parameter indicates that the page has been loaded before and causes skippage of the mark-read code.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: 2.7.5 topic has been read mistake [message #39993 is a reply to message #36825] Tue, 01 January 2008 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
add to buddy list
So this part of the URL of the page links should be removed to solve the problem, shouldn't it?
Re: 2.7.5 topic has been read mistake [message #39998 is a reply to message #39993] Tue, 01 January 2008 13:23 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
add to buddy list
This is now fixed in CVS, here is the patch:

http://cvs.prohost.org/c/index.cgi/FUDforum/chngview?cn=11801

FUDforum Core Developer
Quick Reply
Formatting Tools:   
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
Previous Topic: Page expired (V2.7.2)