FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Usage of ini_set
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Usage of ini_set [message #37048] Mon, 30 April 2007 21:53 Go to next message
JanRei is currently offline  JanRei   Germany
Contributing Core Developer
Translator
FUDforum uses a lot of ini_set calls, mainly in install.php and upgrade.php. But I am on a shared hoster and on shared hosters this function is usually disabled. In case ini_set is disabled it is really hard to install/upgrade FUDforum.
Therefore I would like to suggest that FUDforum doesn't use ini_set. What do you think about?
Re: Usage of ini_set [message #37049 is a reply to message #37048] Mon, 30 April 2007 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   
Administrator
Core Developer
Without the use of the function it is not possible to determine some critical bits of information regarding the PHP environment.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Usage of ini_set [message #37052 is a reply to message #37048] Mon, 30 April 2007 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
Well, I don't understand exactly why ini_set is required for getting information since I thought ini_set is for setting php settings, isn't it?

If you don't want remove it, maybe it would be possible to make sure that FUDforum also works with this function disabled.
Re: Usage of ini_set [message #37053 is a reply to message #37052] Mon, 30 April 2007 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   
Administrator
Core Developer
During the install the forum needs to determine key PHP settings (PHP environment) to determine how it needs to work.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Usage of ini_set [message #37054 is a reply to message #37048] Mon, 30 April 2007 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
With ini_set? Why don't you use ini_get?
Re: Usage of ini_set [message #37062 is a reply to message #37054] Tue, 01 May 2007 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Because some settings such as the ones relating to error reporting often need to be adjusted.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Usage of ini_set [message #37063 is a reply to message #37048] Tue, 01 May 2007 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Translator
In this case I would prefer if the installer would take care of disabled ini_set. Wouldn't it be possible to check whether ini_set is disabled and then warn the user that FUDforum couldn't change some settings?
Re: Usage of ini_set [message #37072 is a reply to message #37063] Wed, 02 May 2007 19:56 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
I've added checks around ini_set() calls in the upgrade script and the installer.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: multi language without registering?
Next Topic: Groups Manager Member Links
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun May 19 03:16:04 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02555 seconds