FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » 500 Internal server Error (Installation of FUDform fails on Next)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
500 Internal server Error [message #38245] Sat, 28 July 2007 18:59 Go to next message
warc is currently offline  warc   United Kingdom
I am installing FUDforum in a shared hosting environment at
www.warc.org.uk/install.php

The first page comes up advising me to change the file permisions which I do to 777

I then find I get a 500 internal server error,
after a while I change the permission to a more restrictive setting and the script installs.

All seems well until I check lock/ unlock forum files and find they are locked. I am making changes to sttings therefore I try and unlock them.

I then found I get Internal server Error 500 on every page.
which is a big problem because I cannot get into the forum and change the setting back.

I have now managed to get it back by changing various file settings from 777 to 755 but it says

You must unlock the files to
run the mailing list importing scripts

Any idea how to fix this.

Thanks

[Updated on: Sat, 28 July 2007 22:43]

Report message to a moderator

Re: 500 Internal server Error [message #38256 is a reply to message #38245] Sun, 29 July 2007 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   
Administrator
Core Developer
Try chmoding the files 644

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: 500 Internal server Error [message #38266 is a reply to message #38256] Sun, 29 July 2007 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks I have tried this and it seems to work, I have modified the file admlock.php so that when you lock / unlock the files
you do not break it everytime.

if (isset($_POST['btn_unlock'])) {
			$dirperms = 0755;    // this was originally 777 but server does not allow
			$fileperms = 0644;   //  this was originally 666
			@unlink($ERROR_PATH.'FILE_LOCK');
			$FUD_OPT_2 ^= 8388608;
		} 

The Forum is working well now except that I am unable to get the incoming group email to connect to the forum.
The forum send emails out fine.

I have a forum called For Sale and I have an email address
forsale(at)warc(dot)org(dot)uk which is in the mailgroup settings and also a Mailman group with the same email address.
In Cpanel I have forsale(at)warc(dot)org(dot)uk forwarder setup to send my mail to

forsale(at)warc(dot)org(dot)uk  /home/warcf38/FUDforum/scripts/maillist.php1 

Some people talk about piping this should I put a "|" at the beginning of the path, I have seen some code to do this but I think they are editing a file.

Cpanel just has two boxes with a red arrow between and usually both will contain an email address.

I have looked for a file called .forward but if it exists its not in part of the server I have access to.

I have also looked at Mailman but I cannot find an interface to run a script from there either, it just seems to send emails in and out and works fine for that but I do not see where I can set up to run a script.

If you can tell me how to do this part it would be appreciated.
Thanks

Re: 500 Internal server Error [message #38277 is a reply to message #38266] Mon, 30 July 2007 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
You need to | (pipe symbol) you also want to do

/path/to/php /home/warcf38/FUDforum/scripts/maillist.php

rather then linking to the script directly.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: 500 Internal server Error [message #38283 is a reply to message #38245] Mon, 30 July 2007 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Ilia, I have been delving through the archives and searching through Google, seems i have a lot to learn about this. I will go back and check some of the things I have found and let you know if I can crack it.
I have put the command in parenthesis and "" as it takes the space betweeen php and 1 out if I just type it in, also I may need to use procmail.

Is there a test I can do to see if procmail is already on the server without shell access. phpinfo does not show it.

I'll look at the procmail site again but it seemed quite complex and seems to assume you have a linux machine with shell access and ability to install from tar files.

I'll try putting the path to php in with a space then the path to the file as you suggest, that is if the box will allow such a long string.
Re: 500 Internal server Error [message #38381 is a reply to message #38283] Tue, 31 July 2007 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   
Administrator
Core Developer
Well, you can try to execute the procmail binary via PHP through shell_exec() or exec() functions. Asking your ISP would work too, you don't explicitly need procmail, using a .forward file could work too.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: 500 Internal server Error [message #38388 is a reply to message #38381] Wed, 01 August 2007 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes I was wandering about the exec() functions, however in the meantime I have downloaded the php sripts from this forum which deal with this with the intention of learning from them and getting something to work. I have made some headway with fudmail.php but time has not allowed me to get it working fully yet. I think I will be able to complete it at the weekend.

I think sendmail and procmail are a neater solution if I have access to set them up. I might have to make a second install of procmail on the server in a part that i have access to and configure it from there but if I can get the fudmail.php or something similar working at least it would be up and running.
I shall go to the ISP only as a last resort as they do not offer a service to change things, they expect us to do that via Cpanel and have hidden the .forward file from view.
Re: 500 Internal server Error [message #38526 is a reply to message #38388] Sun, 12 August 2007 22:48 Go to previous message
I am pleased to say I have now got the mail integration working.
I tried different methods but never seemed to get the piping bit to work through cpanel although others have suceeded.

I tried using the mailist.php as a include to another script which read the mailbox but it came up with the function esc was not defined.

Eventually I have settled on using the getlists.php by Paul Bloomfield which is triggered by a chron job.
This seems to work quite well in my environment.
In order to suppress the file and email output from the Cron
the command is

wget -q -O /dev/null http://www.warc.org.uk/forum/phpmailers/getlists.php?verb=0

NB phpmailers is a folder I put on whilst conducting various experiments.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: FudForum Allocation
Next Topic: FUD 2.6.10RC3 upgrade to Latest
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 25 00:39:37 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03050 seconds