FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Separating Threads
Show: Today's Messages :: Unread Messages :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
| Subscribe to topic | Bookmark topic 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Separating Threads [message #5230] Fri, 23 August 2002 22:04 Go to next message
esm2002 is currently offline  esm2002   United States
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
I am enjoying the tree implementation in the flat view. How about a table for each thread to delineate each one?

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."

[Updated on: Tue, 21 October 2003 23:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Separating Threads [message #5231 is a reply to message #5230] Fri, 23 August 2002 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
add to buddy list
Not sure I understand, I went to the site you've shown, their 'tree' seems to be the same as the one generated by FUDforum's tree view for a single thread.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Separating Threads [message #5242 is a reply to message #5231] Sat, 24 August 2002 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
add to buddy list
Cool Compare this. Please don't look at the code itself; just the results; I'm sure you can do it much better than me if you think it is worthwile.

Not only would this provide a visual beginning and end of the thread ( the "tree" does that also ) but this would visually, as well as phyically, separate the threads.

THANKS!

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
Re: Separating Threads [message #5248 is a reply to message #5242] Sat, 24 August 2002 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
add to buddy list
Interesting idea, but I do not like the way it comes together seems rather messy because all the columns are not alligned.
Myabe simply adding a blank seperator line between the threads could accomplish the same effect and remain consistent with page's layout?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Separating Threads [message #5257 is a reply to message #5248] Sat, 24 August 2002 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
add to buddy list
yep, I thought something like that would be helpful. yeah, I didn't try to align the columns; I was just showing the effect. I'm sure that with a little thought and the correct html code, it would all be aligned properly.

Separator might work too. Still, I think the box around the msg is the best but....

The msg board sold by gossamer-threads.com doesn't separate the threads and I think some of the inherent value of the flat view with a tree suffers as a result. But maybe it is just me...

Gene
Re: Separating Threads [message #5271 is a reply to message #5230] Sun, 25 August 2002 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
add to buddy list
Implemented in latest CVS.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Separating Threads [message #5272 is a reply to message #5271] Sun, 25 August 2002 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
add to buddy list
it will be interesting to see what you did. Earlier today I played around a little bit with the output code - trying to help you with a solution. But inserting a table caused the columns on the right not to line up - the author and Started on columns seemed to be controlled by th tags. That and the topic column which is set at 100%. I even tried coloring the first row of the message with a different color. Well, I'm no expert that's for sure.

FUDForum is maturing very nicely. Great Job...

Gene
Re: Separating Threads [message #5273 is a reply to message #5272] Sun, 25 August 2002 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
add to buddy list
I've done some CSS hackery, which seems to work. you'll see the results when 2.3.0 comes out.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Separating Threads [message #5274 is a reply to message #5273] Sun, 25 August 2002 22:07 Go to previous message
add to buddy list
great, I want to see what you've done with the css...

I'm looking forward to 2.3.0 so I can use the new upgrade script to fix my site. Thanks...

Gene
Quick Reply
Formatting Tools:   
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
Previous Topic: tree view and new messages icons
Next Topic: Today's post
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon Oct 21 04:32:11 EDT 2019

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00839 seconds