FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » NNTP Integration - Delete canceled Messages
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
NNTP Integration - Delete canceled Messages [message #33292] Thu, 24 August 2006 08:53 Go to next message
woody is currently offline  woody   Switzerland
Hi All

Messages Canceled on NNTP should also be deleted on the Forum.

What is it about?
NNTP Networks quite often get abused to post Spam. The Amount of postings is to large, to switch Moderation 'on' or you would get a Forum Manager which is permanenty approving messages.

On NNTP the problem is solved by special scripts which compute Spam-Checksums over the messages and when a message is identified spam, issue a global 'cancel' message within normaly a few minutes.
The Spam-Posting then get's deleted on all of the connected NNTP Servers carrying that newsgroup.

I know this probably is not easy to achive to sync back those deleted messages to the forum. There are two ways I could immagine:

1: Have a script like nntp.php which, for example does a nightly check of the newsgroups and removes all messages from the forum, which have disappeared from the newsgroup. This probably is quite ressource consuming and not 'real time'.

2: Have something like nntp.php which does read the special newsgroup 'control.cancel' and removes all messages from the forum, which are listed as being canceled in this special newsgroup. Usualy on NNTP this is done by identifying a posting by it's Message-ID. I don't know if the forum also indexes the Messages by Message-ID but if so, this probably is the most efficient and easy way, but could be ressource consuming as all cancel messages show up into 'control.cancel', not only the ones from the newsgroups imported to the forum, so all would need to be parsed for valid Message-ID's.

3: If you run the Forum on the same Machine as the Newsserver, you could feed 'look up in the INN documentation what a Programm-Feed is' only cancel messages about imported newsgroups to a programm which directly deletes them from the forum (also by Message-ID), which would be very ressource saving and fast.

-Benoit-
Re: NNTP Integration - Delete canceled Messages [message #33299 is a reply to message #33292] Thu, 24 August 2006 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Please refrain posting multiple message about the same thing. As far as you requests, I've replied to them already in two other forum messages.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: NNTP Integration - Delete canceled Messages [message #33310 is a reply to message #33299] Fri, 25 August 2006 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woody is currently offline  woody   Switzerland

Should FudForum get better NNTP Integration?[ 2 votes ]
1. YES 2 / 100%
2. NO 0 / 0%

Ilia wrote on Thu, 24 August 2006 17:17

Please refrain posting multiple message about the same thing. As far as you requests, I've replied to them already in two other forum messages.

Hi Ilia

My previous post was a question how to do it. I understood that it's not yet implemented, so I posted it again here as a suggestion for improvement in further versions of fudforum with more information how, from my point of view, this could be implemented.

As I understood fudforum is the only forum which is halfway useable as NNTP Web Frontend. And this is exactly what I need it for, but at the moment it leaks some important functionality needed in the NNTP-Network which I manage.

So I just wanted to help by suggesting what is missing and suggesting ways how to implement it to make fudforum even better.

So what is the commitment of FUDForum? Will the development go futher in improving NNTP integration, or is it not the goal of FudForum to become a fully featured NNTP Web-Client in the Future?

If you can already say for sure, that FudForum will never get better NNTP Integration, I either have to find developers who will try to improve it or try to find another forum Software. But I have been looking for quite a while now and FudForum did seam to be the only one with the ability to work as an NNTP Web-Frontend.

-Benoit-
Re: NNTP Integration - Delete canceled Messages [message #33316 is a reply to message #33310] Fri, 25 August 2006 14:55 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
As with any FUDforum feature when there is an option to improve things without impeding performance of the overall application, the feature will be considered and may end up being integrated.

As far as NNTP integration, FUDforum's capabilities in this respect were intended more from an "archival" of nntp groups point of view then NNTP Web Client. That said, since then we've moved a bit further then the initial, with ability to post messages back and so on...

As far removing messages, FUDforum provides FUDAPI, that offers delete message & delete topic functions. It would be fairly trivial to take FUDAPI and go through the spam messages list from nntp and remove from the forum via a cron job.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: NNTP Integration - Crontab simplifying.
Next Topic: Subforums?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 17:13:06 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02380 seconds