FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Users can't log in using Chrome or Internet Explorer
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Users can't log in using Chrome or Internet Explorer [message #168476] Sun, 05 May 2013 01:09 Go to next message
smcgee is currently offline  smcgee   United States
I've set up a forum and it all seems to be working properly, sort of.

I have tested my forum using Firefox, Chrome, and Internet Explorer. Users can successfully register a new account using all three browsers. But the only browser that lets them successfully log in to their account is Firefox. Using Chrome and Internet Explorer, users cannot log in to their forum accounts.

I'm a total newbie at all this stuff, and I have not idea where to even begin looking for the problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks much,
Scott
Re: Users can't log in using Chrome or Internet Explorer [message #168477 is a reply to message #168476] Sun, 05 May 2013 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   
Administrator
Core Developer
Do you have cookies enabled in all browsers? Can you log in to this forum (fudforum.org) with those browsers?

Also try to play with settings like "Enable URL sessions", "Use Session Cookies", "Session Referrer Check", "Session IP Validation", etc.
Re: Users can't log in using Chrome or Internet Explorer [message #168478 is a reply to message #168477] Sun, 05 May 2013 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smcgee is currently offline  smcgee   United States
Quote:
Do you have cookies enabled in all browsers?

Yes, as far as I can tell, all three browsers have cookies enabled. However, my forum is on our company's intranet, and the IT Department manages a lot of different security settings for our computers, browsers, and other installed software. For example, in the Internet Explorer settings, I tried to add my forum as a trusted site, but IT has that setting disabled for non-admin users. But I've never experienced a cookie-refusal issue with other websites using Chrome and IE, so that indicates to me that cookies are enabled on Chrome and IE.

Quote:
Can you log in to this forum (fudforum.org) with those browsers?

Yes, I can use Chrome, IE, and Firefox to log in to fudforum.org.

Quote:
Also try to play with settings like "Enable URL sessions", "Use Session Cookies", "Session Referrer Check", "Session IP Validation", etc.

I set the following settings:
Enable URL Sessions = Yes
Use Session Cookies = No
Session Referrer Check = No
Session IP Validation = No
Multiple Host Login = No

With the above settings, I can now log into my forum using Chrome, IE, and Firefox. So the above settings fixed the problem.

Everything seems to be working properly now. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Much appreciated!

Scott
Re: Users can't log in using Chrome or Internet Explorer [message #169234 is a reply to message #168478] Wed, 11 September 2013 13:01 Go to previous message
Lifer4700 is currently offline  Lifer4700   United States
I had the exact opposite problem. IE & Chrome allowed login, Firefox did not.

I changed my settings to match yours, and now all three work. Thanks!

(btw, Enable URL Sessions was the only one different, mine *was* set to "No" like all the others)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Block emails from register?
Next Topic: Moving from Windows to Linux
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:54:35 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02408 seconds