FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Automatic Time Ban
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon4.gif  Automatic Time Ban [message #25407] Wed, 08 June 2005 11:22 Go to next message
Zodiak is currently offline  Zodiak   Malaysia
Hey Ilia,

I got interested in your forum, downloaded and installed it. Looks awesome. I showed it to my friend (let him into the AdminCP) who is kind of a forum-script guy and tol him that FUD Forum is cool. In just 10 seconds he responded saying that there is no time ban feature which is really really useful. What I mean is, for example, in vBulletin you can give a user a week(enter any time perdiod) ban, and in a week(entered time period) he will be unbanned automatically. I agree that this is a very useful feature, especially for large forums where you just can't remember all the banned users.

So either I am blind or FUD Forum doesn't have such a feature lack of which can be vital for one's forum of choice. Thus I suggest you implent this feature in the next version.

Apart from that, awesome script!

Regards,
Gleb

I yam what I yam!
Re: Automatic Time Ban [message #25434 is a reply to message #25407] Wed, 08 June 2005 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
FUDforum does not support such a feature and quite frankly I do not see much use for it.
But that's just me, let's see what other people say about it and if there is much demand perhaps I can be convinced to add this functionality.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Automatic Time Ban [message #25438 is a reply to message #25407] Wed, 08 June 2005 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, perhaps an example will do.

My friend runs http://www.fifasoccer.ru forums, and we have a special ban policy there, like for minor stuff a user is banned for 3 days, for more major stuff he is banned for 7 days etc. We use this every day, and since we have LOTS and LOTS of users who are often not very rule-obidient, we ban a lot. I see no way how we can remember everyone who was banned and when to unban him. There comes vBulletin where we just specify for how long we ban the user and totally forget about him for ever. I really see no way we could do it manually.

Same with www.ag.ru forums, where bans are often as well, and people are banned for like a month. We'd have to give the admins a medal if not for automatic ban feature there. So judging by two popular forums, this feature is very needed.

Of course, those forums are... you know, teen-based (who are noy very bright, and frankly, I am sick of them Smile) so bans are often whereas some serious support forums or something like that don't really need that feature since a user is either totally normal or he is a brat and is therefore banned for ever. And I haven't really seen 3-day or month-bans on English forums so maybe that's why you don't see this feature useful, but isn't it logical not to totally ban the user but sort of 'punish' him for doing something wrong so he can learn his lesson (yeah, rarely happens :-/) and remain on the forums.

Anyways, it's totally up to you, but I see that as a needed feature and judging by my poor knowledge of PHP Smile, it's not very difficult to implent... It won't hurt being there, right? But some people actually can't live without it so why not put it there?

Regards,
Gleb

I yam what I yam!

[Updated on: Wed, 08 June 2005 14:46]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Automatic Time Ban [message #25442 is a reply to message #25438] Wed, 08 June 2005 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Well, I am not saying the feature is at all useless, but I'd like to see more commentary from other users to determine if this is something that is commonly needed.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Automatic Time Ban [message #25449 is a reply to message #25438] Wed, 08 June 2005 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Hi,

I don't want to start a flame war, but this seems a bit childish to me. If I ban a user for any period of time, they will start using my competitor's forum and never return to my site.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Automatic Time Ban [message #25450 is a reply to message #25407] Wed, 08 June 2005 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehe, don't justify your incomepetence as an admin by blaming a forum's feature. Believe me, if your forum is really good, people will do anything to get back there, and they will most certainly wait for 3 days and learn their lesson.

I yam what I yam!
Re: Automatic Time Ban [message #25470 is a reply to message #25449] Thu, 09 June 2005 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Art Wolf is currently offline  Art Wolf   Ireland
naudefj wrote on Wed, 08 June 2005 16:56

If I ban a user for any period of time, they will start using my competitor's forum and never return to my site.

Well if you ban them, even for a short while, maybe the forum is best without them Smile

As to the time ban - I think it can be very useful feature on large, active forums where on the other hand smaller forums, its easy enough to go ban and unban individually.

I've no idea what the percentage of large, active FUDforums are to the smaller ~100 or less user forums. If smaller is the majority then a code hack can be done up for it *shrugs*

my two cent ^_^;
Re: Automatic Time Ban [message #25491 is a reply to message #25407] Thu, 09 June 2005 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So what do you think, Il'ya (isn't your name more accurate that way?)?

IMO a very needed feature...

Just call the unban function automatically in $period days, not much work IMO (and sorry if I am wrong, I am not PHP programmer, I am a C++ guy Smile)

I yam what I yam!
Re: Automatic Time Ban [message #25530 is a reply to message #25407] Sun, 12 June 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crimson is currently offline  Crimson   United States
I would very much like this feature and use it often. My forums are also a niche where there are no "competitor" sites (they are the official forums for Command and Conquer: Renegade) and I can NOT be bothered to remember when to remove a ban. I usually have to wait until they bug me to remind me.
Re: Automatic Time Ban [message #25531 is a reply to message #25407] Sun, 12 June 2005 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   Malaysia
Good! I hope this feature will be added in the next version!
Re : Automatic Time Ban [message #25587 is a reply to message #25407] Tue, 14 June 2005 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DogManStar is currently offline  DogManStar   France
When you have a large forum during hot news sometimes you can have temporary problem with people who don't respect others.
I try the to give them a yellow card, before the red card, and an automatic (dis)banning could be a great feature...
In the same way giving temporary rights or access to a group or privileges could be nice.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams ... glitter in the dark near Tanhauser Gate. All those ... moments will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain. Time ... to die.

[Updated on: Tue, 14 June 2005 17:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Automatic Time Ban [message #25591 is a reply to message #25407] Tue, 14 June 2005 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
temporary ban was added to CVS.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Automatic Time Ban [message #25607 is a reply to message #25407] Wed, 15 June 2005 05:02 Go to previous message
Thanks a lot Ilia!

I yam what I yam!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Wrong language in New Post alerts
Next Topic: Case-sensitive search?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 06:53:43 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02174 seconds