FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » General » General Chit Chat » Comparison of FUD vs phpBB etc (We're looking for some forum software)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Comparison of FUD vs phpBB etc [message #161662] Tue, 26 January 2010 05:37 Go to previous message
JeffB is currently offline  JeffB   United States
Hello,

I'm a moderator on a discussion forum which was running vBulletin. It's crashed a number of times and I think the owners are likely to bail on the site.

A number of the mods who have been running the show for several years set up a temporary site which came with phpBB 2.xx software preinstalled.

I personally prefer the threaded view which is not available on phpBB and apparently never will be. That's one advantage it would seem to me with FUD. Are there others? We're in the process of trying to upgrade to the phpBB 3.xx version but maybe we'd be better off with FUD.

Are there any drawbacks with FUD vs. phpBB?

One issue that has caused us problems in the past were drive by spammers and bots. I believe the newer version of phpBB is supposed to stop a lot of that. So is the ability of making the membership list viewable only by members. That will supposedly cut down on folks who just sign up to post a link to their website(s) to help get a little more traffic and perhaps a better listing on rating engines.

Is that hiding of the membership list an option with FUD?

Does the "Captcha" work well in stopping the bots?

Thanks in advance for any help or insights anyone may be able to provide.
[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Is this a joke?
Next Topic: new here
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-