FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » General » Database discussions » Query taking 2 minutes (Board grinds to halt for that period of time)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: Query taking 2 minutes [message #163684 is a reply to message #161949] Wed, 24 November 2010 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Ernesto is currently offline  Ernesto   Sweden
I've been trying to wrestle with this when trying to adjust the selmsg (Today's Posts / Unread posts / Message Navigator) to dislay only topics with new messages instead of all the messages.

The problem occurs when trying to "order by" and I cannot for the life of me tune it to perform better.

For example if you register a new user, read a few old posts and then hit the unread messages button found in the SHOW template, it will take a VERY long time to finish up.

I tried removing the ORDER BY and use a GROUP BY instead, and then limit it, but it doesn't work well since the ordering comes out bananas, showing several year old messages etc.

I was thinking that perhaps one could insert a timelimit, but that wont help on a busy forum with hundreds of posts per day etc.

I haven't given up completely, but until we solve this, I think the selmsg page should be disabled on new releases, it is rather easy to kill a server by doing a few calls to the message navigator or "unread" messages in selmsg.

[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message