FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » How to disable target=_blank
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: How to disable target=_blank [message #163031 is a reply to message #163030] Sun, 19 September 2010 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Ernesto is currently offline  Ernesto   Sweden
XHTML Strict is not, according to me, "most desired practice" etc etc.

People who are WC3 crazy would rip out target=_blank and replace it with onclick="window.open(this.href,'_blank');return false;" which actually IS bad practice, since it breaks the middle mouse button functionality in _ALL_ browsers.

Let's say my mom is visiting a forum that does not have target="_blank".
She is reading the recepie thread.
One post called "Bread" links her to the site "Bread'R'Us"
My mom clicks the link.
She enters the site Bread'R'Us, it loads a bit slow since its a bloated site. She navigates on that site with 3-4 clicks to get to a recepie she wants.

Now she wants to get back to that lovely forum and that magnificent thread that had tips of all the recepie sites!

So she hits her back button. Oh shit, since the site used a script to redirect her search for the recepie, a popup is prompted if she wants to submit the data again!

If course she doesnt want to do that, she clicks cancel and remains on her current page.

My mom tries to hit the back button again. Same prompt appears. My mom is now confused, but she clicks ok.

Boom, the search enables again, and she is STILL on the same page.

She is now desperate, so she is clicking the back button like a crazy person, and before the scripts on the page loads (the page is very slow, remember?) she manages to get back 2 pages, to the recepie list again on bread's'r'us but she doesnt know this, since its such a slow site.

She clicks the back button again, waits, page loads, still not the lovely forum thread.

OR

She clicks the link on the forum, a new tab appears and flashes. She clicks the tab, finds her recepies, then clicks the forum tab and she can view the little forum again!

For usability and user experience, I'd go with option number 2!

[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Changes won't take affect.
Next Topic: Moderated forum?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri May 10 01:41:49 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05531 seconds