FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » General » PHP discussions » cron jobs and "shebang" lines
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
cron jobs and "shebang" lines [message #163950] Wed, 15 December 2010 02:39 Go to previous message
wittrs is currently offline  wittrs   
The FUDforum documentation says that certain php files require what is called a "shebang" line as the first line in the code. These begin #! and then refer to the location of the php binary [something].

Faithfully, I have always tried to follow this. However, my host provider is telling me something different for situations when a file is executed through a cron job. They write,

"Also please keep in mind, that each script that you want to run via cron should be chmoded to 755 permissions and you should remove #![shebang line] in the beginning of each script."

Curiously, when I ran the xml aggregation rule, it seemed to work the same even though the shebang line was excluded. It did not seem to matter. However, when I tried to pipe mail, I had all sorts of fatal errors that killed the operation.

Putting aside the issue of why there is different results, I take it that my host is wrong about the advice to take out the shebang lines? And I should ignore the advice?
[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: unable to change global settings php file
Next Topic: Help requested PHP
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 23:45:41 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03835 seconds