FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Modernize the design and look
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: Modernize the design and look [message #164453 is a reply to message #164452] Sun, 06 February 2011 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Lirodon is currently offline  Lirodon   Canada
Btw, all the other forums nowadays just use PHP's time functions to produce those actually. We don't need JS-based ones (however that can make a good extension)

I've also mocked up some design tweaks to the header layout. Firstly, I moved the search out of the top left of the header and moved it down to the menu bar below it. I did some minor changes to the layout of the buttons themselves and added a search box, but its no biggy.

http://ploader.net/files/1705207be39cf755a2472459a1a7ab09.png

Now, the biggy, is what happens below it. The way the "quick searches" (unanswered, unread, etc) is layed out is a little odd and thrown in-looking. The menus on the left for the topic list would manipulate the views (and if we ever add sorting to the topic view, which by the way should really be done, that could be a drop-down pane coming from a button like that, "Sort Options"?), and the ones on the right deal with the forum itself. The "star" would either be a button with an actual star on it, or a "Watch" button. I feel the word "subscribe" has too many connotations with paying, so I'd re-brand subscriptions as "watching" a topic or forum. And also, I don't get the purpose of the "message navigator", it just seems like an alternate search page. Those could be incorporated into the main search page.

And on tables, while they are good for stuff like topic/forum lists, we shouldn't use them for layouts.

And on the buttons themselves, note that going to CSS buttons does not mean that we cannot use icons on them.

[Updated on: Sun, 06 February 2011 17:19]

Report message to a moderator

[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message