FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » GLOBALS.php "Bug"??
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: GLOBALS.php "Bug"?? [message #165121 is a reply to message #165119] Thu, 28 April 2011 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Dayo is currently offline  Dayo   
I get what you mean now.

Should work in most instances but not a suitable way to go about things. I'll have to go through the code called by FUDforum, find every one of the variables and declare them one by one. This is hellish and should not be neccessary at all.

I can see that in some places the variables are referenced directly, $XYZ, and in some others, using GLOBALS['XYZ\].

Now this is fair enough within the application but a more disciplined and structured approach is needed as while this may mean more work at times, it will make the application more extensible.

Define the stuff in GLOBALS.php as constants (not variables, global or otherwise) at the beginning of the flow and that's that. We know they are not going to change so why a variable in the first place anyway?

From then on, "CONF_XYZ" for instance, can be referred to anywhere without fear of tripping over anything. You don't, as a third party developer, have to wonder wherether you need to use this form or that form in this place or that place or whether ypou need to do anything special or not.

Will make things clean, structured and extensible.

So not quite a bug as such but more of a weakness in the design structure ... one which affects many other things in the application in general and one which puts obstacles in the way of third party devs.

I came to FUDforum because a feature I wanted, mailing lists, was not available elsewhere but have now realised that it would have been easier for me to try write a plugin to do this for phpBB3 due to having to have to overcome these structural issues in the main application here.

I'll suggest that a step back is needed for the next bigger point release to look at these issues. Basically a more "OOP" based approach is needed I think.

Anyway, just my 2 pence as an outsider trying to get a bit deeper into things.
[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: SQL Error has occurred...
Next Topic: NNTP Import Subject with Non-Ascii Characters
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:26:59 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05604 seconds