FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Converters » phpBB2 to FUDforum converter
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: phpBB2 to FUDforum converter [message #166185 is a reply to message #166182] Sun, 09 October 2011 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
ShineOn wrote:
1) Some bbcode doesn't translate, for example [list]. Does FUDforum have the [list] bbcode? Do I have to add that?

It was fixed a while ago. Lists should now be converted. If you see any other BBcode problems, let us know so we can fix them.

ShineOn wrote:
2) Internal links do not translate well. Any links within a topic/post that redirect to another topic/post within the forum appear broken. The phpbb "viewtopic.php/viewforum.php" functionality is apparently in the index.php script in FUDforum, and the forum/topic/message number variables are different, even though the numbers referenced match up. I will get more info to you on that, if you want to address this in the converter. It would be nice if the messages were checked for internal forum post links which would be translated from <webroot>/viewtopic.php?etc. or <webroot>/viewforum.php?etc. to the FUDforum <webroot>/index.php?etc. topic/message URL format, so the internal links aren't broken post-conversion.

I'm sure we can implement it. Mail me a couple of examples to work on.

ShineOn wrote:
3) Any external links to the forum will also be broken, because although the forum ID, topic ID and post ID are all consistent, the URL format is different. Is there a possibility of perhaps a plugin that would "unbreak" external links so someone linking to your site with the phpbb format link would have it translated to the FUDforum url for the same forum/topic number, or will all of those external links also be broken?

You can always re-map URLs with .htaccess rewrite rules.

ShineOn wrote:
4) There appears to be a difference in max message length between my phpbb forum and FUD. Is there a way to either detect messages that would be truncated or change the max message length to match the source forum?

Message formats are different and there is no direct way of comparing them.
The easiest would be to find the longest message in phpBB and check if it complete in FUDforum.
[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message