FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Converters » phpBB2 to FUDforum converter
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: phpBB2 to FUDforum converter [message #166187 is a reply to message #166185] Sun, 09 October 2011 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
ShineOn is currently offline  ShineOn   United States
naudefj, using the latest svn of convert.php and your new (thank you!) phpbb2 conversion map, I get the same curious result as when I tried making my own phpbb2 conversion map, where it stops after displaying "reading config file <path to phpbb2 root>/config.php"

I have more than one functioning instance of the phpbb2 forum site (test/dev and production) and using neither one as the source path gets past that display. Can you suggest a way to get more detailed logging (without having access to php.ini) so I can troubleshoot this? I'm getting nothing in my error_log, and I'm using "verbose" in the convert.php option.

Is there an error logging feature of the convert.php subsystem that I can turn on, that might log to the fud_data/errors directory or something like that?

Also, regarding the long message truncation - the field types are the same, so there shouldn't be any truncation in the database, so if the message is complete there, wouldn't it be something in FUDforum limiting how many characters will fit in a message body?

I will check the database to see if the messages I've noticed are truncated in FUDforum are complete in the database and report back.
<edit> The message is truncated in the DB field. Could it have been truncated in the process of moving messages from the file store to the DB store?</edit>
<edit2> I think the problem with the convert.php exiting may be not in config.php but in includes/constants.php. I am trying to find a "vanilla" constants.php for phpBB2 to see where it may be breaking the process. </edit2>
<edit3> Yep. We have the torrent pier mod, and there's an "include once" for includes/constants_bt.php in constants.php. Commenting out that include once statement allowed the conversion to run.

I will let you know how it went when I have a chance to check it out. </edit3>

<edit4> It seemed to convert ok, BUT...
When I ran the consistency check afterward, it blew away all of the smiley icons.
</edit4>
<edit5> - ok - the smilies thing was my fault. Not blown away.

However, none of the smilies appear in the posts. The smilies "tags" are there as text. With tens of thousands of posts that would be a real pain in the rear to manually fix all the smilies.

The conversion seems to work well other than that - the smilies not showing up in the posts, and the permalinks not being translated.

naudefj, if you're going to do the link conversion, it might be best to have it convert to path-style URLs if that option is turned on, otherwise to standard FUDforum url format.

I can try to handle external links using htaccess rewrite rules.

Please let me know if you're going to do the internal link conversion. Thanks!
<edit5>

[Updated on: Tue, 11 October 2011 20:50]

Report message to a moderator

[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message