FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » Play-by-Post RPG Support? (Dice rollers and alias subaccounts needed)
Show: Today's Messages :: Unread Messages :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
| Subscribe to topic | Bookmark topic 
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon5.gif  Play-by-Post RPG Support? [message #168416] Sun, 28 April 2013 02:29
Larathiel is currently offline  Larathiel   United States
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
After consulting the feature matrix on forummatrix.org, SMF, MyBB, and FUDforum were all suggested as software package with the basic features I'm looking for to run a site for my online Pathfinder RPG campaigns. Rather than beating around the bush, I would simply like to ask those of you who are already familiar with FUDforum if it can do what I need...

Use Case: Right now I'm running my Play-by-Post (PbP) on the forums at Paizo.com, but I'm considering moving the game to my own website in order to facilitate better organization and to have forum-moderator access for tasks that simply can't be allowed on a massive site like theirs.

Problem: There are a few key features that Paizo handles well on their proprietary forums that I'm not finding anywhere else:

1. User Aliases/Subaccounts: This is the single most important feature I need. A single person needs to be able to create and manage multiple characters/NPCs without having to login/out of the forum. Ideally, the choice of which alias to post as would be selectable from a drop-down field on the message composition form. In addition, it should be possible to search posts on a per-alias basis.

2. Immutable Dice Rolls: I know that many forums have die-rolling plugins, but in order to prevent cheating and to ensure that a player/GM's narrative matches the results of their rolls when previewing and editing repeatedly, it's essential that die rolls be persistent even if a post is canceled and restarted, edited, aliases changed etc. Clicking preview multiple times or editing a post must not re-randomize the rolls.

3. No Signatures: Since the GM and players are all crafting a narrative together, signatures tend to disrupt the flow of the story. I would like to be able to disable signatures (at least in gameplay subforums) while still allowing users to customize their own per-alias avatar images.

Do any of you know of you know if there are mods/plug-ins for FUDforum that can support this functionality? I spent the day pounding away at SMF and was able to accomplish goals 1 and 3, but it seems that immutable die rolls are simply not feasible to implement.
[Message index]

Read Message icon5.gif
Previous Topic: Friendly URLs
Next Topic: File Won't Download
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Dec 14 12:17:39 EST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00684 seconds