FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » Migration Problem
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Migration Problem [message #187568] Mon, 10 September 2018 17:13 Go to previous message
art is currently offline  art   

Hello World!

I have been running FUDforum 2.8.0 for about 10 years. I migrated from WWWBoard and imported thousands of messages. Right now, my site has about 85,000 messages. FUDforum has always worked very well for me.

However, about two weeks ago, I hit a wall. The company that hosts my VPS sold to another company and they did a migration, but they didn't change the DNS nameserver entries, so I was still connected to the old box. Seemed like such a smooth migration, I was impressed! Laughing Then they finally pulled the plug and when I discovered this and had them point the nameservers properly, now my site was several months old. So out came the backups. Thank God I always grabbed a nightly backup.

I loaded FUDforum from backup and was mostly successful. As you might imagine, PHP and MySQL are both newer. By itself, that's a good thing. But I've had to work through a bunch of problems.

There are three problems I'm stumped on. The last one would likely fix the other two.

1. Some of my troubleshooting wiped out the fud28_index table so I had to reindex. I am able to run the script from CLI, and I added logic that throttles it to do locks/unlocks every so often. I've seen that logic described here and I use it. So I can reindex just fine. But it seems to create a lot of duplicates in the fud28_search and fud28_index tables. The index table gets huge. It's way bigger than what it was before the server change. Makes me wonder if there wasn't supposed to be "update existing or insert" logic that doesn't work because of the different MySQL version. But I'm guessing because I haven't been able to figure that out. I just know my index table grows too large.

2. Whenever a new post is made, anyone that's logged in clicks on the unread thread more than once will see duplicate entries in the thread list. I can see that the fud28_read table gets new records with the same thread_id and user_id rather than updating the existing entry with the new msg_id. If the user clicks the same message multiple times, then the read table will have multiple records with the same user_id, thread_id and msg_id. This is another reason I think maybe there's some logic that was intended to "update existing or insert new."

3. So all this makes the obvious answer be to upgrade FUDforum. But I've tried to upgrade to v.3.0.0 and wiped myself out good. Took me a day to recover from that. It wrote all the new files, and then started the SQL changes and then died. I didn't see any backout instructions so I did it manually. Kind of hard because after a restore, you also have to identify and remove any new 3.0 files in the src and thm directories or you can't rebuild themes.

What I think I really need to do is to create a sandbox installation somewhere to do a test-run of the upgrade(s) and any troubleshooting I've had to do. I've been messing around with the production box and that's always risky and painful. After the ISP clobbered me, it felt like nothing could possibly get worse, but I've clobbbered myself a few times. So I can definitely make things worse if I'm not careful.

Does anyone on this site do work for hire? I'd be willing to pay someone for assistance.

[Updated on: Mon, 10 September 2018 17:39]

Report message to a moderator

[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message