FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » New in 2.6.0RC1
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13586 is a reply to message #13577] Sat, 18 October 2003 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
esm2002 is currently offline  esm2002   United States
Ilia wrote on Sat, 18 October 2003 01:25

The forum listing on the front page I do not find problematic, only 1 row was added (moderators) and IMHO they are clearly identifiable.

As for the topic listing, I dunno...

The information below the thread name is not critical or essential, it merely indicates the name of the topic author & the name of creation. In all honesty we could probably do away with that information all together... I was hoping that the smaller font would seperate it from topic names, but dunno...
I guess that one place were suggestions on improvments are welcome Smile

P.S. What do you mean move to the right?

we have had a few discussion on display presentation! Very Happy

Yes, it is only one line on the front page but it makes a difference. Kind of like the guy carrying two bricks who says "if I can carry two bricks, I can carry one more." A little later he then says "if I can carry three bricks, I can carry one more." A little later he says "if I can carry four bricks, I can carry one more." Prettry soon, it will be just one brick too many. Well, you get the picture.

Yes, the info is clearly identifiable. But I think it is just "one brick too many" and causes a cluttered look. And the thing about it is that the moderator info tends to be useless info. I am sure there are situations where it is useful. But in my experience it is just data and not info as the user doesn't know what to do with it.

Here is what I was referring to about empty space to the right.

This empty exists in both the front page and topic view. This is on a 19 in monitor with a 1280x960 setting. Maybe a little larger than most but I put the search bar on the left otherwise I would have had even more empty space to the right.

For me the front page is a no-brainer: the third line clutters up an otherwise clean look. It could be moved (back) to the right with little or no impact.

However, the topic view is not so easy. It looks like you have moved the poster's information from the left to the top. If messages tend to be short, then having the poster's info on the left will cause less wasted space. If messages tend to be long, then having the poster's info at the top will cause less wasted space.

Just an opinion on this, but it is my impression that messages tend to be shorter rather than longer and thus the placement on the left of the posters info would be the more efficient.

And we read from left to right as opposed to top to bottom.

remove image - 10-22
  • Attachment: ff01a.jpg
    (Size: 53.35KB, Downloaded 1705 times)

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."

[Updated on: Wed, 22 October 2003 18:25]

Report message to a moderator

[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message