FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Converters » Yahoo Groups -> mbox -> maillist.php -> missing posts
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: Yahoo Groups -> mbox -> maillist.php -> missing posts [message #15678 is a reply to message #15673] Tue, 30 December 2003 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
srchild is currently offline  srchild   United Kingdom
Ilia wrote on Wed, 31 December 2003 03:52

FUDforum's import script can only handle 1 message at a time. So unless you modify the script to handle mbox format you need something else to do it and pipe the messages one at a time to the script.

That's what 'formail -s' does - it breaks up an mbox into single messages and sends them to the script one at a time. From the man page:

"The input will be split up into separate mail messages, and piped into a program one by one (a new program is started for every part)".

So that part is working (I got 308 messages in by running that command once, but another 296 didn't make it).

I got that idea from this message:

http://fud.prohost.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=9774#msg_9774

My problem is that not all the messages are getting converted into FUD. I'm not clear whether this is due to my archive format (seems alright) or my use of formail (seems alright, and has worked for others) or something else.

One thought is whether some messages are being dropped since the script is sending them too fast - will FUD cope if there are several instances of maillist.php running at the same time, as there may well be since formail will start up a new instance of it for each message that it extracts from the mbox?

Another possiblity is that the archive appears alright (e.g. to my eye, and to Elm) but in fact the message boundaries are unclear and formail is struggling with them.

Thanks for your interest - one more question - is there some documentation to tell me about the file appearing in messages/msg_1 - will that give me any clues?

Simon Child
[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Where to start?
Next Topic: Conversion phpBB 2.0.5 => FUDforum problems
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-