FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Finding a user by substring match
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon3.gif  Finding a user by substring match [message #17779] Sun, 18 April 2004 17:42 Go to previous message
wfjmueller is currently offline  wfjmueller   Germany
In our FUD installation we have enabled "Aliases" and suggested to all users to enter as Alias the full name, like "Joe Smith".

The "Find User" sub-dialog in the "Add user" transaction part of the "Group Administrator" dialog offers only a search for names beginning with the entered search phrase. This means in our case, that one has to know the first names, and that finding a user if one only knows the last name gets cumbersome.

It be great if at this and probably other places the 'Find user' function would allow to search by substring match, either implicitly by changing the match type to substring match or by allowing explicit usage of wildcards. I'd love to find both 'Jim Smith' and 'Joe Smith' when I search for "*Smith*" or "Smith".

I'm aware that these searches are less efficient for the database, but since they are only infrequently used in administrative dialogs this shouldn't be a real problem.
[Message index]

Read Message icon3.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: scripts' #! lines
Next Topic: Admin Control Panel - display of forum names
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 06:19:58 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05058 seconds