FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Change the name  () 1 Vote
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon4.gif  Change the name [message #19777] Wed, 01 September 2004 04:44 Go to previous message
freephile is currently offline  freephile   United States
As Microsoft proves, marketing is more important than software quality if the goal is to get as many users as possible.

I know that FUDForum is better software than phpBB, but when I tried to sell it to my boss and other decision makers, they chose phpBB. I pressed for the reason why they would choose inferior software, and it really came down to the fact that they didn't like the name 'FUDForum'.

I have to agree with their opinion of the name. In the English language FUD stands for Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. FUD is the tactic used by those in power who try to distract opponents from real issues and the truth when the truth would otherwise defeat them in a contest. I am sure that Ilya and Makie are not trying to create software to spread more FUD. In fact, free software and open discussions are exactly the opposite of FUD.

Even if you don't know what FUD stands for in English, it doesn't sound good in English. It rhymes with the word 'dud' which means defective, and 'crud' which means dirt, and 'mud' which is saturated (wet) soil. If you pronounce the letters, then it is synonymous with Fu*k You D which is the biggest swear phrase in the language. Shocked

Please, please, for the sake of expanding the user-base of your great software, change the name to something more appealing.

I haven't checked these names, and I'm not even saying they're any good, but a quick list of suggestions:
*AAAForum
*fanForum
*fantasticForum
*myForum
*phpForum
*speedBoard
*incrediBoard
*ezBoard
*all-a-Board

Thanks,

Greg
[Message index]

Read Message icon4.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message icon6.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message icon6.gif
Previous Topic: field mbox_user in table fud30_mlist could be more than 30 chars
Next Topic: Multi-Quote
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri May 03 10:38:16 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04159 seconds