FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » Efficiency/speed tweaks?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: Efficiency/speed tweaks? [message #25468 is a reply to message #25294] Thu, 09 June 2005 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Crimson is currently offline  Crimson   United States
I found the reason for the higher load. I have a PHP script I wrote that runs constantly (in screen) and monitors the apache log for malicious behavior. Since installing FUD Forum, my hits have increased exponentially, and the reason isn't necessarily a good one. For some odd reason, clients aren't making ONE request for an image, they are making several.

In fact, I found this extreme in the logfile generated by this script:

[01:17:46 am] 67.71.70.226 - 50 requests for theme/default/images/down.gif in 3 seconds

This is NOT an isolated incident. I had to tweak the script to allow more identical requests because so many of my users were being banned in the firewall (dropping packets) through normal use. This script only bans for making identical requests in a very short period of time (such as a script that requests index.php over and over to make your load average go through the roof) -- the script was catching people making dozens of requests for the same exact image dozens of times per page load.

As a result, my script was working overtime sorting through all the hits which made my load average go so high.

I have made some tweaks to the script (namely ignoring images) which has taken care of most of the problem, but I am still concerned with the excessive image requests and the impact that might have on bandwidth consumption. Is there a reason a client isn't requesting the image once, and if so, how can I help the situation?

Thanks again!
-Christine
[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Help me in installation please.
Next Topic: Failed installation...
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Wed May 15 23:17:07 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04257 seconds