FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Announcements » FUDforum Layout Contest!!!  () 2 Votes
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: FUDforum Layout Contest!!! [message #26576 is a reply to message #26570] Wed, 27 July 2005 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Lukin is currently offline  Lukin   Poland
JamesS wrote on Wed, 27 July 2005 12:44

I have an idea or two that doesn't involve using tables for layout. My Calculus II final is one week from today and I hope to be able to work on it after that; right now I have to catch up in class Laughing

Any way, if done correctly, a layout done without tables is going to make the forum quicker (and I know how much you like speed). The typical use of tables for layout creates a lot of overhead that has to be re-downloaded every page view. I don't agree with everyone's desire to use the transitional doctype nor their need to use XHTML. The first is just lazy and the second has no viable, cross-browser, implementation IMHO.

Tables are bad when you use them for purely visual purposes, like making a menu in table. But they are excellent for presenting sorted data, something like a table of topics with an info about topic starter, date of last post, etc. This part of forum is something like an Excel sheet - making such thing in div's has no sense. Tables are not "banned" in XHTML, they just should not be used for "description of a layout".

Ilia wrote on Wed, 27 July 2005 13:12

Well, KHTML engine (somewhat tuned) is what powers Apple's Safari browser, so it's popularity is growing, making compatibility with it a concern. Opera mostly tries to emulate IE behaviour, which in many cases means that the same hacks used for IE also solve issues on Opera.

You're talking about some old version of Opera. The one and only version of this browser which emulated IE was 7.01. It was in use for a shor period of time - producer quickly updated it to 7.23. The newest one is Opera 8 and it has one of the best css support on the market.
The newest version of Safari (not officialy released yet) has it even better than Opera - it was the first browser which passed Acid2 test. To this day only two browsers pass this test: Konqueror and iCab.
Well, imho strict XHTML is a big problem only for older browsers like IE4 and IE5. Making a layout for IE6 is not that complicated and don't need so many hacks - of course if your layout is not that complicated Wink

I reply my question to forum developers: What is the oldest browser that should be supported by the new theme?
And a second question: opening links in new windows (using target="_blank") is not allowed in xhtml 1.0 strict. So the question is: do I have to modify the forum code and remove "target" parameters from an [ URL] code, etc. or better use transitional xhtml in a theme?
P.S. I know that opening a page in new window can be done by javascript, so that could be a good substitute for "target" parm, but then again newer browsers could treat such link as an pop-up window.
[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: FUDforum 2.7.6 Released!
Next Topic: FUDforum 2.7.7RC2 Released
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu May 09 08:10:34 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04050 seconds