FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Flagging other users to posts on the forum
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Flagging other users to posts on the forum [message #27128] Sat, 27 August 2005 21:28 Go to previous message
Astoria is currently offline  Astoria   United States
All of the posters on my forum came from a place which was set up so that, in addition to holding conversations via PM, users could also let each other know about threads they might be interested in, or hold a conversation on a thread, by creating a flag at post time that other posters would see at their "self search" link. A "self search" displayed a paged list of links to all of the users' posts, mixed together with links to posts that were in direct reply to their posts and "flags", where another poster had entered their name (or an entire list of usernames) to call attention to a post or thread. This list showed the names of the posters who created the posts.

They very much miss this functionality, and so I want to implement this in my FUDforum installation. However, there are some differences in the way I want to implement on FUDforum. I will separate the "self search" into "View my posts" (which already pretty much exists) and "View my replies and flags". Here is the high-level list I've come up with for what I will need to do to implement this functionality:

• Functionality will be optional, enabled per on/off admin toggle
  • Flagging in the create post process will be handled the same as sending a PM to multiple recipients.
  • General replies to the thread would not generate flags; explicit flags and replies to specific posts on the thread would generate flags.
  • New tab in User CP: "Replies and Flags"
  • Recipient can delete replies and flags from the list (like PMs)
  • set a maximum storage limit (# of flags); if it's reached older flags will be deleted. Limit will be configurable via admin settings.
  • "saved" area for permanent storage of certain flags (as for PMs).

If you might be interested in picking up this functionality, I will attempt to tightly integrate it with your code. If not, I will try to keep it more separate so that I can still pick up your upgrades.

Thanks

addendum: I also want to integrate a "Flag" permission into the permissions list, so that posters who abuse it can be disabled without having to ban them.

[Updated on: Sat, 27 August 2005 23:19]

Report message to a moderator

[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message