FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » virtual hosts support
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: virtual hosts support [message #28116 is a reply to message #28101] Tue, 11 October 2005 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
ruzam is currently offline  ruzam   Canada
I agree base64 is a common way to make data 7 bit safe.
I also agree that it ensures 1 error = 1 line.

I totally disagree that this is an appropriate place to use it.

First the error messages contain printable data and in no way requires it to be 7 bit safe in the first place.

Second, these are ERROR messages. These should not be happening unless there's a problem with FUD. If there's a problem it should be fixed so error messages don't persist. There's no benefit to simplifying the parsing of theses messages. This isn't some kind of minutely status report which can make good use of some clever optimising.

Third, when an error occurs you can't always just bring up the admin page to see what it is. As I've found more often than not, many errors make the forum totally un-usable and the only way to find out why is through the error files. A simple database permission problem can be solved from the error files.

And finally, decoding the file is NOT trivial. It requires knowlege of PHP coding, or some other language. It also assumes you even know that the log files are encoded this way in the first place, which if you don't also requires knowlege of how FUDforum works so you can find the code that creates log entries. These are not things 90% of the users are going to have. These are not things 90% of the users should have to know to use your excellent forum.

Of all the applications I have running on my system, web based or otherwise, I can count exactly ONE that encodes log files and we're talking about it now.

Coming up with a text based log format is also trivial. To do anything else is just plain bad programming practice.
[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message