FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » virtual hosts support
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Return to the default flat view Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: virtual hosts support [message #28117 is a reply to message #28085] Tue, 11 October 2005 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
ruzam is currently offline  ruzam   Canada
The init script proved to be useful. Turns out my initial table creation script did not create an entry in the themes table. Without this entry, the anonymous login (or any login for that matter) fails to find the session after it's created.

Suggestion: UNIX_TIMESTAMP in file def_forum.sql should be {UNIX_TIMESTAMP} to make it clear that this is going to be substituted. It's far to similar to the MYSQL UNIX_TIMESTAMP() function, which technically does the same job if the '()' are included.

Here's my latest crack at virtual support:

Patch core.inc - look for a $SITES_DIR global variable. Load an alternate site file to over-ride GLOBAL values. This is totally compatible with all past/existing/future FUDforum installations.

Patch compiler.inc - Again, looking for a $SITES_DIR global variable, use either the original 'FULL_ROOT' hard coded substitutions in pages, or substitute the $GLOBALS['WWW_ROOT'] string. This should be totally compatible with all past/existing/future FUDforum installations. I can't say if it's 100% virtual site compatible (I don't know if all the templates will properly include the format). Seems there are still some css file issues that need looking at.

create-virtual-site.php - This can be run from the command line, hopefully to be someday incorporated into an interactive the FUD admin page option. Creates the necessary files and tables for a virtual site forum.

It's still sketchy. There's no admin page support of any kind, and things will probably break if there's any attempt to update the $GLOBALS from the admin page. But at least it opens the option to hosting multiple domains off the same FUD code base.

Question: I know you've cited performance reasons for hard coding the FULL_ROOT in theme pages. But the way I see it, you're already committed on every page that includes at least one PHP script on it. Does hard coding the FULL_ROOT by default really buy you that much more performance?

Question: I still have trouble seeing the distinction between the various directories declared in GLOBALS. In a multi-site environment, there are really only two distinctions: Dirs/Files which will be updated by the forum and Dirs/Files that will be shared by all but not updated. I'm using $DATA_DIR for the updatable forum stuff. Any paths which are also modifyable by the forum are based off this, errors/, messages/, tmp/, files/, cache/. $DATA_DIR can be easily switched for each site. I'm using $WWW_ROOT_DISK for all the common forum stuff (include/). Everything under $WWW_ROOT_DISK can be made world readable and only root writable. This totally protects the code base from any kind of external influence. Everything under $DATA_DIR can be made apache read/write. I have loose ends to look into regarding avatars and what not, but themes are looking to be a problem. Why are themes organised under $DATA_DIR and not $WWW_ROOT_DISK?

[Message index]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message