FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » PM Question
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
PM Question [message #30817] Wed, 15 March 2006 21:27 Go to next message
DataLore is currently offline  DataLore   United States
Is it possible for an administrator to view private messages sent from one user to another?

Re: PM Question [message #30819 is a reply to message #30817] Wed, 15 March 2006 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Everfree is currently offline  Everfree   United States
Great question!

I'd like to know that too... mainly I want to make sure people aren't discussing something they shouldn't be on my forum.
Re: PM Question [message #30821 is a reply to message #30819] Thu, 16 March 2006 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JusLurking   United States
Seems to be the topic of convo today Shocked
Re: PM Question [message #30822 is a reply to message #30821] Thu, 16 March 2006 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Indeed
Re: PM Question [message #30824 is a reply to message #30822] Thu, 16 March 2006 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm wondering how long it will take for them to research the answer for this simple question!
Re: PM Question [message #30828 is a reply to message #30817] Thu, 16 March 2006 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
DataLore wrote on Wed, 15 March 2006 16:27

Is it possible for an administrator to view private messages sent from one user to another?

Yes and No. The admin can login to the user's account and see their message, but there is no control panel to view those messages otherwise.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: PM Question [message #30833 is a reply to message #30817] Thu, 16 March 2006 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How does the admin login to a users account?
Re: PM Question [message #30834 is a reply to message #30828] Thu, 16 March 2006 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Thu, 16 March 2006 11:17

DataLore wrote on Wed, 15 March 2006 16:27

Yes and No. The admin can login to the user's account and see their message, but there is no control panel to view those messages otherwise.

So these messages are not archived in anyway? Is it safe to assume that once deleted by the users the messages are gone forever?

Re: PM Question [message #30835 is a reply to message #30834] Thu, 16 March 2006 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I found copies in the 'messages' folder in a file called 'private'. They're not formatted and you can't tell who sent them or who they're to.
Re: PM Question [message #30836 is a reply to message #30835] Thu, 16 March 2006 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Everfree wrote on Thu, 16 March 2006 16:07

I found copies in the 'messages' folder in a file called 'private'. They're not formatted and you can't tell who sent them or who they're to.

Is the message body intact? legible?
Re: PM Question [message #30841 is a reply to message #30836] Fri, 17 March 2006 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The message body is inside the private file yes, but if the user removes the message and then the admin runs the message compactor it will be removed forever.
To access the user's messages, you need to retrieve or change their password and then login to their account.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: PM Question [message #30844 is a reply to message #30841] Fri, 17 March 2006 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, let me make sure that I'm clear on what you've said. It is possible to review messages in a file called "private". However, it is message body only and cannot be associated with a particular user.

The only way to review a message and know who the user is would require the admin changing that users password. Can I also assume that once the admin changes the users password he/she cannot then change it back to the original password thus alerting the user that his/her account may have been tampered with?
Re: PM Question [message #30845 is a reply to message #30817] Fri, 17 March 2006 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kenjb is currently offline  kenjb   United States
OMG! after all of this talk about who can read a PM, tell us what you said that you don't want the admin to know about, please! You'll feel better if you just confess and get it off your chest, so to speak. Wink

kenjb
Re: PM Question [message #30846 is a reply to message #30841] Fri, 17 March 2006 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

To access the user's messages, you need to retrieve or change their password and then login to their account.

How do you "retrieve" the password?
Re: PM Question [message #30847 is a reply to message #30833] Fri, 17 March 2006 20:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is the answer going to be published for all to see, or is it a PM type of message only between the original poster and the admin?

Wow, did I just make some sort of point. What's the point of having PM enabled on your forum if you are going to look at what others are PMing to each other? Doesn't that go against the word "Private" in the phrase "Private Messaging"?

I don't know why I'm having a problem with this.

kenjb
Re: PM Question [message #30848 is a reply to message #30845] Fri, 17 March 2006 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kenjb wrote on Fri, 17 March 2006 11:38

OMG! after all of this talk about who can read a PM, tell us what you said that you don't want the admin to know about, please! You'll feel better if you just confess and get it off your chest, so to speak. Wink

I simply have a question that I would like to have answered and gain some understanding in the process.
Re: PM Question [message #30849 is a reply to message #30848] Fri, 17 March 2006 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On a forum that I am a member of there has been a topic about Admin's abilities to read PM's.

The Admin. of this specific forum seems to know a lot about what is discussed behind the "scenes" and whom is doing the discussing. A forum member specifically made a thread in regards to Admin's being able to access the PM's of forum members, the Admin. blatantly stated NO the PM's could not be accessed by her, then back pedaled and said she could access but only if she changed the members password thus causing the member the inability to sign in.

So now that it has been explained to clarity, Can Admin's access PM's without a member knowing that Admin. has gained access?
Re: PM Question [message #30851 is a reply to message #30847] Fri, 17 March 2006 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kenjb wrote on Fri, 17 March 2006 15:06

What's the point of having PM enabled on your forum if you are going to look at what others are PMing to each other? Doesn't that go against the word "Private" in the phrase "Private Messaging"?

PMs are private from all other members but admins have rules for what can and cannot be discussed on their forum.

Let's say I have a business forum for my sales reps. What if members are sending PMs to other members trying to sell them stuff that is in competition with my company. That's not the purpose of the forum, so I would tell those people to stop. Or what if people start sending adult material and I have a rule against that. Or worse, what if some members are discussing something that promotes illegal activity... I surely don't want people to use my site for that.
Re: PM Question [message #30852 is a reply to message #30817] Fri, 17 March 2006 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Then I think you should disable private messaging. That way, no one on your forum can say something in private and you no longer have to take the time to snoop at his or her private messages behind their backs.

Just something to consider. Otherwise change the text labeled as “Private Messaging” to something like “Almost Private Messaging” so people know that it’s no longer completely private.

kenjb
Re: PM Question [message #30853 is a reply to message #30852] Fri, 17 March 2006 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kenjb wrote on Fri, 17 March 2006 17:28

Then I think you should disable private messaging. That way, no one on your forum can say something in private and you no longer have to take the time to snoop at his or her private messages behind their backs.

Just something to consider. Otherwise change the text labeled as “Private Messaging” to something like “Almost Private Messaging” so people know that it’s no longer completely private.

I can think of no legitimate reason why anyone should be going through someone else's personal mail. Admin or otherwise.
Re: PM Question [message #30854 is a reply to message #30853] Sat, 18 March 2006 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DataLore wrote on Fri, 17 March 2006 18:22

kenjb wrote on Fri, 17 March 2006 17:28

I can think of no legitimate reason why anyone should be going through someone else's personal mail. Admin or otherwise.

I totally agree. The Admin. of the site that I belong to thrives on drama, thus, if it's possible (which now I'm sure it is) she enjoys, actually lives on reading PM's of members, thus my reason for trying to find out if it is actually possible for this to occur!!! Nothing more nothing less. I am not an Admin. trying to find a way to snoop but a member wondering if the Admin can snoop! example: A couple of forum members have met and this Admin. knew about it and posted it to the forum. If the case is that PM's can be read, I not only do not want to be a member of this specific forum I am referring to, but will be aware of futrue issues where PM's are concerned with other forums. Does this clear up the simple question in which deserves a simple answer?
Re: PM Question [message #30860 is a reply to message #30854] Sat, 18 March 2006 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm guessing we will never get a complete full answer to such a simple question! Rolling Eyes
Re: PM Question [message #30884 is a reply to message #30860] Sun, 19 March 2006 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JusLurking wrote on Sat, 18 March 2006 15:58

I'm guessing we will never get a complete full answer to such a simple question! Rolling Eyes

The answer is here, it’s been spelled out above.

An admin has to pretty much take over the persons account by changing the password of the account to see what is in private messaging for that account. Otherwise, a single file on the server stores all of the private messages and can be viewed by an admin, but the messages are just kind of lumped altogether from everyone making it hard to tell who said what in what private message to whom. That make sense?

Further, if an admin takes over an account to view private messages by changing the password, then the person who is using that account will know because the password will have been changed.

Maybe someone could suggest (to Ilia) storing the private message file with a hash, making it more difficult for the regular forum admin to read casually (in the proper forum area).

Is that a complete answer to the question? Smile

Just trying to be helpful.

kenjb
Re: PM Question [message #30885 is a reply to message #30884] Sun, 19 March 2006 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kenjb wrote on Sat, 18 March 2006 21:08

JusLurking wrote on Sat, 18 March 2006 15:58

The answer is here, it’s been spelled out above.

An admin has to pretty much take over the persons account by changing the password of the account to see what is in private messaging for that account. Otherwise, a single file on the server stores all of the private messages and can be viewed by an admin, but the messages are just kind of lumped altogether from everyone making it hard to tell who said what in what private message to whom. That make sense?

Further, if an admin takes over an account to view private messages by changing the password, then the person who is using that account will know because the password will have been changed.

Maybe someone could suggest (to Ilia) storing the private message file with a hash, making it more difficult for the regular forum admin to read casually (in the proper forum area).

Is that a complete answer to the question? Smile

Just trying to be helpful.

Yes, it does make sense and thank you for clarifying HOW it can be done!!!
Re: PM Question [message #30890 is a reply to message #30885] Sun, 19 March 2006 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Look an admin is an admin for a reason. Ultimately admin can access and change any aspect of the forum. That means reading other people's private messages if they are so inclined.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: PM Question [message #30895 is a reply to message #30890] Sun, 19 March 2006 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Look here Ilia, with your software being so easy to install and operate, you are enabling people that very well have no right to be an "admin" and might very well be abusing the position. Is it to much to ask to hash the private message file to keep out the would be malicious "admin"?

All part of the fun! I always choose the underdog.

I personally have nothing to gain or lose if you decide either way. It was just a good point raised that the word "Private" could be abused if the admin so chooses, and then it's no longer private. Maybe you should change the text to read PM=Personal Message so people don't get the wrong idea.

kenjb
Re: PM Question [message #30913 is a reply to message #30895] Mon, 20 March 2006 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
No matter how you store the data admin will always have access to it. Heck they can upload a PHP script via the file manager and read your hashtable or what not. Bottom line if you don't trust your forum admins, don't make them admins keep them as moderators.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: PM Question [message #30945 is a reply to message #30913] Tue, 21 March 2006 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you give to much credit to some admin people. I'd be willing to bet that at least 65% of your admin type users would have no idea how to go about viewing a hashed file, or even care to go out of their way if that was the case. I mean a percentage of FUD admins that might otherwise look at the PM file would be less likley to view it if it were hashed (just would be too much trouble to do).

I think if the hash table for PM's only doesn't cause any server load to speak of and doesn't slow down the performance of FUD Forum, then it would be an added bonus in claiming that "PM's are hashed for privacy" in FUD Forum.

I don't think it's a bad idea to add a little more privacy to FUD in a world where privacy is seemingly less and less all the time.

Any Chance that you might consider making that change to the PM file Ilia? Don't you already hash the log file?

Lets face it, if you really intend for admin types to view other PM's, wouldn't you have added an admin interface just for that purpose.

kenjb
Re: PM Question [message #30960 is a reply to message #30945] Wed, 22 March 2006 16:46 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Accessing the user's PM box is not as simple as it may seem you need to change the user's password and then login to their account to do this. Changing the storage mechanism which for all intents and purpopses is an offset hash will do nothing to resolve this.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Can't get to the Admin Control Panel
Next Topic: Tracking which posts a user has read
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun May 12 19:14:34 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04424 seconds