FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » what incoming address for mailing list?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
what incoming address for mailing list? [message #10038] Thu, 15 May 2003 21:02 Go to next message
stevie is currently offline  stevie   United States
Hi, I just installed v2.3.8 while I wait for a new version of v2.5rc.

I'm trying to get the mailing list integration going. I'm using a Mac OS X system and I've confirmed that my executable php binary is installed, and that procmail is there. I've designated a forum on my fud installation to receive the messages from the mailing list.

Now I've got what I'm afraid is a stupid question, but I just don't see the answer anywhere... I'm sure the answer depends on how I've set fud up on my server... OK, here goes:

What email address should I subscribe to the mailing list, so that fud (along with procmail and the php script) can intercept the messages?

Or conversely, if I'm already subscribed to a list, how do I tell fud/procmail/etc where to find the messages?

Thanks. -Steve
Re:what incoming address for mailing list? [message #10045 is a reply to message #10038] Fri, 16 May 2003 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The e-mail address you use to subscribe is not important, as long as it gets to your server and procmail will pick up on it.

As far as procmail config, that's up to you to figure out, however the actual bit about getting procmail to redirect message to FUD is shown through an example on the mailing list control panel.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re:what incoming address for mailing list? [message #10047 is a reply to message #10045] Fri, 16 May 2003 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This procmail stuff is really new to me -- I've always used a pop client on a mac or windows machine to read my mail, so I never had a reason to learn about procmail. But I'm always glad to learn something new.

Let me see if I understand the basic flow of things ok, that will help me in my troubleshooting:

• user "xyz" on my system "xyz.com" subscribes to a mailing list called "abc" that comes from "abc.com". The mailing list messages always come with "abc(at)abc(dot)com" in the To header.
  • the procmail app needs to be functioning on the system, and there is a .procmailrc file (probably in xyz's home directory). As long as procmail is running, and there is a valid .procmailrc file in the right place, then procmail "checks" all incoming mail to the user - and can optionally do some action based on the mail it looks at.
  • for the fudforum mailing list integration, the .procmailrc file needs to contain something like
    :0:
    * ^TO_.*DOMAINNAME.COM
    | /web/fudfiles/scripts/maillist.php 1 

where DOMAINNAME.COM is the address the mailing list messages contain in the header (like "abc.com" above) and where the second line depends on your installation of fudforum.
  • If you have this stuff set up correctly, when user "xyz" receives email, mailproc checks it. If mailproc finds email that was sent TO "abc.com" it then executes the maillist.php script.
  • The maillist.php script requires a binary version of PHP in order to run, and it may need to be modified so that it can find the PHP app.
  • Assuming the maillist.php script is triggered ok, it takes the email message that triggered it and puts it in the designated forum, as if it had just been typed in by a person using the web interface.

Is this sequence basically correct for the process of getting incoming mail to be inserted into a fudforum forum? Thanks. -Steve
Re:what incoming address for mailing list? [message #10049 is a reply to message #10047] Fri, 16 May 2003 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My message above is trying to understand the general flow, so I can debug better. Now, here is something more specific:

I changed my .procmailrc file to do logging - it now looks like:

TESTDIR=/Users/admin
MAILDIR=${TESTDIR}
LOGFILE=${TESTDIR}/Proctest.log
LOG="--- Logging for ${LOGNAME}, "
VERBOSE=yes
LOGABSTRACT=all

:0:
* ^TO_.*.com

From looking at the resulting log file, I can tell that procmail is indeed functioning in some way, because it "notices" my incoming email and tries to do something with the maillist.php script. But clearly something going terribly wrong. Here's the log (below), anyone care to guess about the problem?

--- Logging for admin, procmail: [503] Fri May 16 13:28:19 2003
procmail: Assigning "LOGABSTRACT=all"
procmail: Match on "(^((Original-)?(Resent-)?(To|Cc|Bcc)|(X-Envelope|Apparently(-Resent)?)-To):(.*[^-a-zA-Z0-9_.])?).*.com"
procmail: Couldn't determine implicit lockfile from "/web/fudfiles/scripts/maillist.php"
procmail: Locking ".lock"
procmail: Executing "/web/fudfiles/scripts/maillist.php,1"
/web/fudfiles/scripts/maillist.php: ?php: No such file or directory
/web/fudfiles/scripts/maillist.php: /Applications: is a directory
/web/fudfiles/scripts/maillist.php: line 5: syntax error near unexpected token `(C'
/web/fudfiles/scripts/maillist.php: line 5: `*   copyright            : (C) 2001,2002 Advanced Internet Designs Inc.'
procmail: Non-zero exitcode (2) from "/web/fudfiles/scripts/maillist.php"
procmail: Assigning "LASTFOLDER=/web/fudfiles/scripts/maillist.php 1"
procmail: Unlocking ".lock"
procmail: Bypassed locking "/var/mail/admin.lock"
procmail: Assigning "LASTFOLDER=/var/mail/admin"
procmail: Opening "/var/mail/admin"
procmail: Acquiring kernel-lock
procmail: Notified comsat: "admin@0:/var/mail/admin"
From zzzzz(at)zzzzzz(dot)com  Fri May 16 13:28:19 2003
 Subject: hi at 1:30
  Folder: /var/mail/admin                                                   832

Thanks all! -Steve
Re:what incoming address for mailing list? [message #10051 is a reply to message #10049] Fri, 16 May 2003 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Hmm here is what you need to do:

1) You need to determine the path of your PHP binary
2) Replace the existing path of PHP binary in the 1st line of /web/fudfiles/scripts/maillist.php with that path.

If it still does not work, remove the 1st line inside maillist.php
and change

To

| /path/to/php/binary/php /web/fudfiles/scripts/maillist.php 1

FUDforum Core Developer
icon14.gif  Re:what incoming address for mailing list? [message #10053 is a reply to message #10051] Fri, 16 May 2003 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing

OK!

I checked and the first line of maillist.php had the correct path.

So I used your second suggestion, deleted the first line of maillist.php, and changed my .procmailrc file as you suggested.

Whammo it worked. I then realized I had the "no message in body" problem several people have seen, so I changed the permissions on my msg_1 file to 777. Now it's working great! Thanks!

I'd still love to see if my general flow description above is ok. I've installed this on a local Mac OS X server for testing but eventually I'd like to install it on a remote hosted linux server, where I'm sure I'll see different problems -- so it would be great to understand the basic data flow as well as possible.

Anyway, thanks again! -Steve
Re:what incoming address for mailing list? [message #10054 is a reply to message #10053] Fri, 16 May 2003 18:44 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Your description is OK. More importantly it works Smile

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: FUDforum21_20030514
Next Topic: Zlib Extention
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Wed Jun 26 05:39:11 GMT 2024