FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Images and permissions
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Images and permissions [message #10942] Fri, 13 June 2003 23:22 Go to next message
Victor_M is currently offline  Victor_M   United States
Sorry for asking this question again, but even after going from FUD 2.3.6 to 2.3.8, and moving to another webhost, I still have the same problem.

The problem is that all images written to or updated in folders under the /images folder are written with a permission of 600.

MySQL Version: 4.0.12
PHP Version: 4.3.1

Any ideas?
Re: Images and permissions [message #10944 is a reply to message #10942] Fri, 13 June 2003 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
chmod the images to 644 or 666 and the problem will go away.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Images and permissions [message #10951 is a reply to message #10944] Sat, 14 June 2003 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's what I've been doing for smileys and avatars that we added. But custom_avatars submitted by members can not be seen unless we manually chmod them to 644. As you can imagine, that's quite tedious.

My question really is, why aren't the image files being written as 644 when those files are created? What do I have to do to make sure they are written as 644?

I don't know enough about PHP and Unix, but it would seem to me that I should be able to force the files to be written with the permission needed to be viewed in the forum.

[Updated on: Sat, 14 June 2003 06:28]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Images and permissions [message #10960 is a reply to message #10951] Sat, 14 June 2003 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Fair question, so let me explain:

When the files are created their owner is the webserver, so 0600 permission is sufficient for the forum to access these files. If you unlock the forum then new files will be created with a 0666 permission allowing anyone to read/write to those files (not very secure).

To make your job go faster if you have many avatars, write a simple php script that will go through all the files in the directory and chmod them.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Images and permissions [message #11005 is a reply to message #10960] Mon, 16 June 2003 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe I'm not explaining myself well. In any case, let me make one last attempt, and then I promise I'll drop this.

FUD built a feature whereby any forum member can go to their profile and upload a picture (avatar). That picture gets written to the /images/custom_avatar directory with that forum member's assigned number as the file name. In our case, that file is being written with a permission of 600. This permission does not allow that avatar to be viewed by any forum member.

This situation isn't limited to custom avatars. For whatever reason, all images added using FUD programs are written as 600. That includes smileys, avatars, custom_avatars.

Clearly, that can't be your intention to offer those features but require Admins to chmod each and every file to 644. And I know for a fact this used to work just fine. I'm also sure you'd have heard from other people besides me if they had to go into the File Manager to chmod every image added.

What could it be about my environment that's causing this?

For your information, once again we re-installed FUD forum 2.3.8 from scratch. The rest of the environment at our webhost is:

Operating System: Linux
Apache Version: 1.3.27 (Unix)
PHP Version: 4.3.1
Mysql Version: 4.0.12

Even if you don't have an answer, I appreciate your effort.

Thanks
Re: Images and permissions [message #11011 is a reply to message #11005] Mon, 16 June 2003 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Let me explain again, when a forum creates a file it does so with the 0600 (if locked) and 0666 (if unlocked). However, the group/user that the file is created with is the webserver's uid/gid. This means that no matter the permission the webserver should always be able to access the files it created.

If you the file loc/unlock control panel you can quickly chmod all files 0600 (lock) or 0666 (unlock) with virtually a single click.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Images and permissions [message #11116 is a reply to message #11011] Wed, 18 June 2003 04:25 Go to previous message
All is working well and I now understand why I was confused.

Thanks for clearing it up and for your pacience with me. Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Multi registration
Next Topic: Which mysql tables matter to create forums?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 14:50:18 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02888 seconds