FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » new problem - will not start
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
new problem - will not start [message #1050] Wed, 20 March 2002 17:25 Go to next message
fjrohlf is currently offline  fjrohlf   United States
I just checked my forum today and received the following message:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: fud_use() in /var/www/html/forum/index.php on line 22

What should I do now?

Jim
Re: new problem - will not start [message #1051 is a reply to message #1050] Wed, 20 March 2002 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Verify the validity of you GLOBALS.php file and the symlinks to it.
This problem occurs because GLOBALS.php or the symlinks to it were corrupted.

Which version of the forum are you running?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: new problem - will not start [message #1058 is a reply to message #1051] Wed, 20 March 2002 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I found that the GLOBALS.php file in the forumdata/include directory had just 0 bytes! I have no idea how that happened. I have not done anything with the forum for several days. Fortunately, I had a pretty recent backup copy of that file so I copied it over. Different error now. It says:

Warning: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql.sock' (2) in /var/www/forumdata/include/db.inc on line 26

The mysql.sock file is there. This sounded familiar so I tried a previous suggestion about typing

mysql -S/var/mysql.sock -uuserid -ppassword

and I recieved the same error message.

Jim
Re: new problem - will not start [message #1059 is a reply to message #1058] Wed, 20 March 2002 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Verify your MYSQL settings inside the GLOBALS.php file.
if you are using the socket, make sure you MYSQL_SERVER line reads:

:/var/mysql.sock and NOT /var/mysql.sock

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: new problem - will not start [message #1060 is a reply to message #1059] Wed, 20 March 2002 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If fixed the $MYSQL_SERVER setting and now I get the following error when I access the forum:

Query Failed: SELECT count(*) FROM fud_msg LEFT JOIN fud_thread ON fud_msg.thread_id=fud_thread.id LEFT JOIN fud_forum ON fud_thread.forum_id=fud_forum.id LEFT JOIN fud_mod ON fud_forum.id=fud_mod.forum_id AND fud_mod.user_id=1 WHERE fud_msg.approved='N' AND fud_forum.moderated='Y'
Reason: Can't open file: 'fud_msg.MYD'. (errno: 145)

Jim
Re: new problem - will not start [message #1061 is a reply to message #1060] Wed, 20 March 2002 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
P.S. The fud_msg.MYD file does exist in the /var/lib/mysql/forumdata directory. 30K.

Jim
Re: new problem - will not start [message #1062 is a reply to message #1061] Wed, 20 March 2002 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
P.P.S. I am using FUD version 1.2.1. I notice that you are up to 1.2.3 now.

Jim
Re: new problem - will not start [message #1063 is a reply to message #1062] Wed, 20 March 2002 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think I found the root of the problem - the /var partition was full. I have created some free space but still get the same error. Some files must have been corrupted. What is the best strategy? Is the update to 1.2.3 likely to fix anything?

Jim
Re: new problem - will not start [message #1064 is a reply to message #1063] Wed, 20 March 2002 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Yeah, that would be a good idea, running a consistency checker would also fix most problem other then the GLOBALS.php problem, which I believe you've already fixed.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: new problem - will not start [message #1067 is a reply to message #1064] Wed, 20 March 2002 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I ran the update. Final result was a screen with the following message:

Locking the database for checking
Query Failed: LOCK TABLES fud_thread WRITE, fud_thread_view WRITE, fud_forum WRITE, fud_cat WRITE, fud_msg WRITE, fud_mod WRITE, fud_users WRITE, fud_users AS fud_users_2 WRITE, fud_read WRITE, fud_poll WRITE, fud_poll_opt WRITE, fud_poll_opt_track WRITE, fud_smiley WRITE, fud_thread_notify WRITE, fud_forum_notify WRITE, fud_attach WRITE, fud_msg_report WRITE, fud_thread_rate_track WRITE, fud_level WRITE, fud_custom_tags WRITE, fud_user_ignore READ, fud_buddy WRITE, fud_pmsg WRITE, fud_ext_block WRITE
Reason: Can't find file: 'fud_thread_view.MYD' (errno: 2)
Server Version: 3.23.48-log

Now the forum seems disabled. Get the message "Undergoing upgrades".

Jim
Re: new problem - will not start [message #1068 is a reply to message #1067] Wed, 20 March 2002 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
fjrohlf wrote on Wed, 20 March 2002 5:22 PM

I ran the update. Final result was a screen with the following message:

Locking the database for checking
Query Failed: LOCK TABLES fud_thread WRITE, fud_thread_view WRITE, fud_forum WRITE, fud_cat WRITE, fud_msg WRITE, fud_mod WRITE, fud_users WRITE, fud_users AS fud_users_2 WRITE, fud_read WRITE, fud_poll WRITE, fud_poll_opt WRITE, fud_poll_opt_track WRITE, fud_smiley WRITE, fud_thread_notify WRITE, fud_forum_notify WRITE, fud_attach WRITE, fud_msg_report WRITE, fud_thread_rate_track WRITE, fud_level WRITE, fud_custom_tags WRITE, fud_user_ignore READ, fud_buddy WRITE, fud_pmsg WRITE, fud_ext_block WRITE
Reason: Can't find file: 'fud_thread_view.MYD' (errno: 2)
Server Version: 3.23.48-log

Now the forum seems disabled. Get the message "Undergoing upgrades".

Oh boy, you running out of space seems to have screwed up MySQL. Mysql query failed because mysql couldn't find "fud_thread_view.MYD" file. You'll need to run mysql integrity checker & fixer 1st.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: new problem - will not start [message #1070 is a reply to message #1068] Wed, 20 March 2002 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, can you give me some hints on how to do that?

Jim
Re: new problem - will not start [message #1071 is a reply to message #1070] Wed, 20 March 2002 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Inside your mysql's bin directory there is a mysqlisamchk file...
you'll need to run it...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: new problem - will not start [message #1072 is a reply to message #1050] Thu, 21 March 2002 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I found a file called mysqlcheck in the usr/bin directory. I ran it with the --all-databases option and it said all were ok except: forumdata.fud_index and forumdata.fud_msg are corrupt and the file forumdata.fud_thread_view.MYD cannot be found. I noticed that there was a repair options -a and -r. Should I try them?

Jim
Re: new problem - will not start [message #1073 is a reply to message #1072] Thu, 21 March 2002 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
yeah you should...

Make sure to shutdown mysql before running this.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: new problem - will not start [message #1074 is a reply to message #1073] Thu, 21 March 2002 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, it did something. Problem still is that the fud_thread_view.MYD file is missing. Perhaps there is nothing to lose in copying it from my backup.

Jim
Re: new problem - will not start [message #1075 is a reply to message #1074] Thu, 21 March 2002 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
try that...

You probably want to overwrite the entire directory cause each table has 3 files, replacing just 1 file won't fix the problem, cause the data in all 3 files per table needs to match.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: new problem - will not start [message #1076 is a reply to message #1075] Thu, 21 March 2002 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strange. Now the /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock has vanished. How does one create a new one? I see I have one in my backup directory. Can it be copied?

Jim
Re: new problem - will not start [message #1077 is a reply to message #1076] Thu, 21 March 2002 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
That file will be re-created if you stop and then start MySQL.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: new problem - will not start [message #1079 is a reply to message #1077] Thu, 21 March 2002 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I tried /etc/init.d/mysql start
and I get the following:

Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
020320 20:19:40 mysqld ended

If I then type mysql I get the following:

ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

Jim
Re: new problem - will not start [message #1080 is a reply to message #1079] Thu, 21 March 2002 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
P.S. the mysql.sock is not created.

Jim
Re: new problem - will not start [message #1082 is a reply to message #1079] Thu, 21 March 2002 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
fjrohlf wrote on Wed, 20 March 2002 8:10 PM

I tried /etc/init.d/mysql start
and I get the following:

Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
020320 20:19:40 mysqld ended

If I then type mysql I get the following:

ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

I think your mysql fails to start...

after you run your start script, do a "ps aux" and see if you can spot mysql running....

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: new problem - will not start [message #1085 is a reply to message #1082] Thu, 21 March 2002 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, there are 9 or so of them running.

Jim
Re: new problem - will not start [message #1086 is a reply to message #1085] Thu, 21 March 2002 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Myabe it is creating to mysql.sock file somewhere else?

Your tmp directory is usually where mysql stores them in.

If you cannot locate the file, change the forum's MYSQL_SERVER to localhost or 127.0.0.1

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: new problem - will not start [message #1087 is a reply to message #1086] Thu, 21 March 2002 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Heh...

Before you start mysql, did you shut it down using mysqladmin?

You cannot start another Mysql if the old one is still running!

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: new problem - will not start [message #1088 is a reply to message #1087] Thu, 21 March 2002 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, I just stopped the deamon I did not stop using mysqladmin also. Should I try to kill all of those processes?

Jim
Re: new problem - will not start [message #1089 is a reply to message #1088] Thu, 21 March 2002 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
fjrohlf wrote on Wed, 20 March 2002 8:19 PM

No, I just stopped the deamon I did not stop using mysqladmin also. Should I try to kill all of those processes?

Uhm did you use the "kill" command?

You ALWAYS should stop mysql using the mysqladmin script, otherwise you risk corrupting the databases.

use the command like this:

mysqladmin -uroot -pROOT_PASS shutdown

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: new problem - will not start [message #1090 is a reply to message #1089] Thu, 21 March 2002 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, the forum consistency check now runs ok. No error messages. It then says the forum is currently disabled and that I should go toe the Global settings manager to re-enable it. I tried that. Changed the picklist from no to yes and then clicked return to forum but I still receive the message saying :

Undergoing Upgrades
Administrators can login here

I then noticed that the time stamp on the GLOBALS.php file in the include directory had not changed. I then change the N to Y to enable it using vi. I was then able to access the forum. So far it looks like the various messages are there! Time for a big backup.

Why would the admin control panel not be able to change the GLOBALS.php file?

Jim
Re: new problem - will not start [message #1091 is a reply to message #1090] Thu, 21 March 2002 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Maybe it did not have permissions to write to the file?

Another reason could be that the 2 symlinks to the GLOBALS.php inside forum's web root & adm/ dir got changed to files. So, they don't reflect the data inside the GLOBALS.php stored inside the include/ directory.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: new problem - will not start [message #1092 is a reply to message #1091] Thu, 21 March 2002 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The files in the include directory all are owned by apache. The 'copies' in the html directories all are shown as symlinks.

Jim
Re: new problem - will not start [message #1093 is a reply to message #1092] Thu, 21 March 2002 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Hmm... try changing some other setting using the admin control panel, see if it saves the value...

If it does not, consider upgrading to later FUDforum version...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: new problem - will not start [message #1096 is a reply to message #1093] Thu, 21 March 2002 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have already upgraded to 1.2.3 so that is not the problem.

One thing that has puzzled me before is that the global settings manager does not have an update button. I made a change to the 'reason for disabling' message. I then went to the message editor and then back to the global settings and I got back the original vaues not what I had changed them to. How does one save the settings?

Jim
Re: new problem - will not start [message #1098 is a reply to message #1096] Thu, 21 March 2002 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You see no update(Set) button?

There should be a "Set" button at the bottom right corner of the page, you may need to scroll a little to see it because admglobal is a rathe long form.

If the button is not there, then that is your problem, to solve it simply replace your admglobals.php with the admglobals.php from the one stored inside the forum_install/install_data/docs/adm/ directory (the forum sources you've downloaded).

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: new problem - will not start [message #1099 is a reply to message #1098] Thu, 21 March 2002 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, way over there to the right. I had not seen that before! Could you move it down to a line by itself so it would be on the left?

I found out one reason why I ran out of space. In the /var/lib/mysql directory there is a morph.log file that is 55MB. Can that be deleted or at least be reduced in size? There are also some files with names like morph-bin.009 that are fairly large.

Thanks again for all of your help. I really appreciate it.

Jim
Re: new problem - will not start [message #1103 is a reply to message #1099] Thu, 21 March 2002 05:26 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
I have no clue who creates the morph files you are seeing, try running lsof command and grepping for what program is using those files...

I'll modify the register globals form to work with it is submitted with a return and consider a better position for the "Set" button.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Time not set right, changing from email on confirmation
Next Topic: install.php problem at step 1
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Wed Jun 26 20:10:16 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02829 seconds